1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 5, 2013 11:15 AM by Gary Graham-Oracle RSS

Type-ahead on TNS Connections does not permit more than 1 letter - 3.2.20.09 and 4.0.0.13.30

user6325482

I have a large TNSNames.ora file with dozens of entries.  When trying to create a new connection:

New Connection...

Change Connection Type to TNS

Use pull-down on Network Alias

Start typing your TNSName

The first letter you type will bring you to all entries starting with that letter.  The next letter you type will bring you to all entries starting with that letter.  I would have expected it to list to all entries starting with both of those letters - i.e concatenate those two letters to build the start of the name of the entry.

For example, if I have a TNSNames file that looks like

PAA01

PEABC

PQDEF

PRGHI

RALPH

If I type the letter P, I would jump to PAA01 in the list.  But if I follow that with an "R" it jumps to the entry RALPH.

This behaviour exists in both 3.2.20.09 AND 4.0.0.13.30.  Only tried on Windows 32-bit.

• 1. Re: Type-ahead on TNS Connections does not permit more than 1 letter - 3.2.20.09 and 4.0.0.13.30
          Gary Graham-Oracle

How large is your TNSNames.ora and how fast do you type?  Mine has over 100 entries, and I modified it temporarily to include ranges of entries like:

dfb1

dfj1

dfm1

dfn1

dfv1

I was able to jump around randomly typing up to the first 3 letters without too much of a problem if I typed quickly.  Sometimes it would seem to stick a bit (switching to a different first letter, then switching back helped), and keep in mind that repeating the same second or third character (rapidly) just scrolls through that range.

Hope this helps.  If there is something specific to your environment you suspect may be a factor, please let us know.

Regards,
          Gary

SQL Developer Team