This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2013 3:07 PM by dirtdad RSS

oracle.ops.mgmt.cluster.RemoteDirException with Grid installation on OL 6.4

user643648 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I need to install Oracle RAC 1 node 11gR2 on 2 servers:

• server & dns names : db1n1, db1n2, (db1n1-vip, db1n2-vip for the VIP), the reverse DNS is also configured.
  • iSCSI shared storage for the ASM. No other shared storage, and no cluster FS.

Installation of linux_11gR2_grid:

• After setting up the dependencies, the SSH, the iSCSI initiators on both nodes, X11,DNS and reverse DNS for IP and VIP, I start the installation of the grid software (11gR2)
  • I choose the "Install and Configure Grid Infrastructure for a Cluster.", "Typical Installation", and use '/dev/disk/by-path' search location to find my ASM drives.
  • All the tests are passing (on both nodes), except the missing pdksh-5.2.14 package that is not available on this OS release.

Problem:

Installer hangs at 65%, with no error, I need to cancel it manuall, and the following message in /u01/app/oraInventory/logs/installActions2013-07-03_10-53-35PM.log :

INFO: ORACLE_HOME is not settable, hence not setting the value

INFO: {Parameter:TOPLEVEL_COMPONENT in {Aggregate:OuiConfigVariables:1.0.0.0.0:common}}: Parameter data type is not compatible with the provided String Array.

INFO: passing params to cf done

INFO: done saving info by cf

INFO: Updating files in Oracle home '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'db1n2'.

INFO: InstallProgressMonitor: Starting phase 16

INFO: List of files to be excluded from:install/excludeFileList.txt

INFO: Updating files in Oracle home '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'db1n2'.

SEVERE: oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgRemoteOpsException: Error in checking status of file '/tmp/OraInstall2013-07-03_10-53-35PM' on node 'db1n2' . []

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgClusterOps.throwRemoteOpsException(OiipgClusterOps.java:2491)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgClusterOps.fileExistsOnNode(OiipgClusterOps.java:2222)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwClusterCopyWCCE.runPreCopyScriptOnNodes(OiifwClusterCopyWCCE.java:1225)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwClusterCopyWCCE.doOperation(OiifwClusterCopyWCCE.java:503)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbCondIterator.iterate(OiifbCondIterator.java:171)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwActionsPhaseWCDE.doOperation(OiifwActionsPhaseWCDE.java:633)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbLinearIterator.iterate(OiifbLinearIterator.java:147)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallAPISession$OiicAPISelCompsInstall.doOperation(OiicInstallAPISession.java:1058)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbCondIterator.iterate(OiifbCondIterator.java:171)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallAPISession.doInstallAction(OiicInstallAPISession.java:642)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallAPISession.access$000(OiicInstallAPISession.java:88)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallAPISession$OiicActionsThread.run(OiicInstallAPISession.java:934)

Caused by: oracle.ops.mgmt.cluster.RemoteDirException:

at oracle.ops.mgmt.nativesystem.UnixSystem.pathExists(UnixSystem.java:956)

at oracle.ops.mgmt.cluster.Cluster.isExists(Cluster.java:1237)

at oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgClusterOps.fileExistsOnNode(OiipgClusterOps.java:2206)

... 10 more

INFO: Copying Oracle home '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'db1n2'.

INFO: Copying Oracle home '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'db1n2'.

[root@db1n1 grid]#

I have no clue why it makes a "pathExists" on remote node when all path that are existing have been created by the installer.

What should I try?

Thanks !

• 1. Re: oracle.ops.mgmt.cluster.RemoteDirException with Grid installation on OL 6.4
    user10956350 Newbie

For your information, same issue happend on my environment.

I also investigationg this issue. Once you resolve it, could you please share it with us?

SEVERE: oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgRemoteOpsException: Error in checking status of file '/tmp/OraInstall2013-07-08_02-45-44AM' on node 'node1' . []
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgClusterOps.throwRemoteOpsException(OiipgClusterOps.java:2491)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgClusterOps.fileExistsOnNode(OiipgClusterOps.java:2222)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwClusterCopyWCCE.runPreCopyScriptOnNodes(OiifwClusterCopyWCCE.java:1225)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwClusterCopyWCCE.doOperation(OiifwClusterCopyWCCE.java:503)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifw.OiifwActionsPhaseWCDE.doOperation(OiifwActionsPhaseWCDE.java:633)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiif.oiifb.OiifbLinearIterator.iterate(OiifbLinearIterator.java:147)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallAPISession$OiicAPISelCompsInstall.doOperation(OiicInstallAPISession.java:1058)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallAPISession.doInstallAction(OiicInstallAPISession.java:642)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallAPISession.access$000(OiicInstallAPISession.java:88)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiic.OiicInstallAPISession$OiicActionsThread.run(OiicInstallAPISession.java:934)
    at oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgClusterOps.fileExistsOnNode(OiipgClusterOps.java:2206)
    ... 10 more

INFO: Copying Oracle home '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'node1'.
    INFO: Copying Oracle home '/u01/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'node1'.

• 2. Re: oracle.ops.mgmt.cluster.RemoteDirException with Grid installation on OL 6.4
    user455235 Newbie

Hi All

Fyi ~ I am also encountering this exact same issue up installing Oracle 11gR2 Grid software on a 2-Node RAC environment.

I am the 3rd person in this thread to report the EXACT same error.

My configuration is very similar with:

• OS is RHEL 6.4 on Dell 2950 Servers

[root@tstdb1 logs]# uname -a

Linux tstdb1.immport.net 2.6.32-358.11.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 15 10:48:38 EDT 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@tstdb1 logs]#

• Network configuration completed with dns and vips properly setup.
    • ASM shared storage using EMC Clarion with Powerpath.

Installation of Linux 11gR2 grid:

• I choose the "Install and Configure Grid Infrastructure for a Cluster.", "Advanced Installation", and ASM disk selection came up fine during ASM dg creation page.
    • SSH connectivity passed fine.
    • All the pre-requisite tests passed except for Swap space, which Oracle recommends 16GB if you have 16GB memory. 
      As you may recall, all previous Oracle installer recommendations to this point have been 4GB swap.
      Based on the specific details in the installation manual, it says that if you encounter this exception, you may follow specific vendor recommendations for this setting. 
      Based on Red Hat recommendations, we have set it to 8GB swap, (with 16 GB total memory).

My exact problem is the same:

Installer hangs at 65%, with no error, I also need to cancel it manually, and the following message
    in /opt/app/oraInventory/logs/installActions2013-07-08_11-25-58AM.log :

INFO: done saving info by cf

INFO: Updating files in Oracle home '/opt/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'tstdb2'.

INFO: InstallProgressMonitor: Starting phase 16

INFO: List of files to be excluded from:install/excludeFileList.txt

INFO: Updating files in Oracle home '/opt/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'tstdb2'.

SEVERE: oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgRemoteOpsException: Error in checking status of file '/tmp/OraInstall2013-07-08_11-25-58AM' on node                                              'tstdb2' . []

... 10 more

INFO: Copying Oracle home '/opt/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'tstdb2'.

INFO: Copying Oracle home '/opt/app/11.2.0/grid' to remote nodes 'tstdb2'.

[root@tstdb1 logs]#

Also, like both of you above, I am actively trying to resolve this issue as soon as possible.  
    If you have any success in resolving this issue, if you can share your solution/fixes that would be great!

Thanks!    - User455235

• 3. Re: oracle.ops.mgmt.cluster.RemoteDirException with Grid installation on OL 6.4
    user10956350 Newbie

Confirmed the status of remote node. After pausing remote node, this issue happend.

In my case,once the connection was stable, this issue was not appeared.

This important message is the below.

SEVERE: oracle.sysman.oii.oiip.oiipg.OiipgRemoteOpsException: Error in checking status of file '/tmp/OraInstall2013-07-08_02-45-44AM' on node 'node1' . []

Thanks,

• 4. Re: oracle.ops.mgmt.cluster.RemoteDirException with Grid installation on OL 6.4
    dirtdad Newbie

I have this same issue.  The issue is not pausing the node, I am doing an install, all hosts are up.  It is an oldish thread, but are there any updates on this?

• 5. Re: oracle.ops.mgmt.cluster.RemoteDirException with Grid installation on OL 6.4
    dirtdad Newbie

Resolution was to turn of the firewall on each node.  'service iptables stop' and 'chkconfig iptables off' on each node.  Reboot may be needed too.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points