1 2 3 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2013 12:24 PM by TexasApexDeveloper Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
        TexasApexDeveloper

On the server itself, or running locally attaching to the server?  Either way, once you get connected and open the connection in question, you can just click the tables tree item and expand it, right click on a table, select export and follow the prompts.. I would turn off the settings for storage and show schema.  This will build a script to build all the tables, functions, procedures and such along with the data from your tables in a set of insert statements..

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 31. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
          Alexandra Robin

Thanks, that sounds straight forward enough.  I'll not on the server itself.  I connect through remote connection.

Something very strange has just happened to my 4.0 apps.  All my images have "suddenly" stopped displaying.  I've gone to shared components for both apps, spot-checked that the images are there and that they are linked to the applications and they are.  Even in Edit Image Attributes the preview of the image does not display.  I haven't done any action in sql developer - only looked at files.  Could I have done somethign?  Eye yie yie.

• 32. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
            TexasApexDeveloper

Do you have BOTH XE databases running on the same server or on separate servers?  Are you using the APEX listener for EITHER install of XE??

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 33. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
              Alexandra Robin

different servers.  smae listener for both

• 34. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                Alexandra Robin

export as csv?

choice is to export DLL  or Export Data and with Data as csv, fixed, html, insert, loader, text,xls,xml.  I didn't think I was going to have to do this one table at a time with sql developer

• 35. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                  TexasApexDeveloper

I believe it will build a script with ALL tables data, I prefer to use the insert sql statement option, so it builds a set of insert statements..

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 36. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                    Alexandra Robin

Excellent.  I just was given the permissions i need too.  Woo woo things are looking up,. I'll be a DBA in no time...ha haa haaa. I don't think so! :-)

• 37. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                      TexasApexDeveloper

Run, Run away quickly if they want you to do that...

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 38. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                        Alexandra Robin

Ha ha. okay so I've been going in circles this afternoon and really don't know what I'm doing.  Right now I have my 4.0 instance on one server and the 4.2 instance on another test server and the database is also on the server where 4.0 resides.  I am not figuring out how to get my workspace, schema, and data exported and imported.  I've tried creating the workspace and schema in 4.2 and trying to move export/import data; I've tried creating the dll as you suggested and looking around in sql developer to handle all of the export/import (workspace, schema, and data together) as you suggested.  I just can't figure outthe steps.  If you are not yet tired of my harranging you, I'll be back here tmmr.  Otherwise maybe it will be more clear with a clear morning head.

Now, I'm about to go for my daily swim and dunk my head under water!

Thanks for all your help today despite my thick head.

All the best,

A

• 39. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                          joelkallman-Oracle

Hi Alexandra,

Sorry for chiming in on this long-running conversation, but:

>> "I need to figure out how to do it without the data blowing up."

Well, an APEX upgrade doesn't touch the application tables or non-APEX objects in other schemas whatsoever.  So as far as an APEX upgrade, there is literally zero chance that any data would "blow up".

Also, just wanted to mention that Database 11gR2 ships with APEX 3.2.1, not APEX 4.0 as mentioned earlier in this thread.  You'd be best to simply upgrade APEX to the available 4.2.3 before you do any database upgrade (assuming you're on 10.2.0.4 or higher).

Joel

• 40. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                            Alexandra Robin

NOooooo problem for chiming in.  I hope Tony doesn't mind.  Thank you for your input.  I'm trying to get out of here for today, but I'm going start right in tmmr.  I guess you've read this whole saga.  Best part is I'm signed up for the admin class on Feb 18th...maybe I already said that.

All the best -

Alexandra

• 41. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                              TexasApexDeveloper

Joel,

I wish it was a simple APEX upgrade, I believe there are using XE and moving to a new version, not sure.. I tired suggesting they get a supported version of database or move to a hosted instance...

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 42. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                                Alexandra Robin

Also, is it correct that all my tables are stored under connections > apex > Other Users > WORKSPACE_NAME?

That's where I found the data.

When importing the data into 4.2 I'm getting error:

1 error has occurred

• The script exceeds the maximum size allowed (It's 38,825 KB)

JEEZUMCROW - It took a fresh morning and I've done it.  Files are exporting as I type.  I still think it wise to move up to the supported version.  If you have  contact info I'd appreciate it.  Otherwise I'll look into revion (thanks, Tony). and go from there.

Thanks, Tony.  I talked to my boss yesterday and he said this is a doable thing (hosted/supported, etc)  Yes.  We are using XE and moving to a new version.  Soo what steps should I take now?  Who should I call?

Is it possible to get this up in the meantime?

Here's the status.  It's very hard to get any information out of our network administrator. He has made the upgrade on our test server sans data. I've cleared out the workspaces I've created in the new version so I can start again from a blank slate. In creating those workspaces I had created schemas to go with and want to delete those as well, for the same reason, but can't find where to do that.  Tony has suggested that  use sqlDeveloper:

"SQL Developer will build a script for you or you can do it via APEX..

Click on SQL Workshop, click Utilities, click Generate DDL, click Create Script, select the schema you wish to have it run against and then follow through with the other options.."

Obviously, I know little of what I'm talking about.  The bottom line for me now is do I proceed with getting my data uploaded in the present condition? As I said before, I can do it table by table.  That I know how to do; orrrrr do I learn how to do it in one-fell-swoop via sqlDeveloper, orrrrrrrrrrr do I make the call(s) to upgrade to the supported version and then go from there?

Thanks, you guys!!

A

• 43. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                                  TexasApexDeveloper

What you will need to do then is, instead of trying to run script in APEX< you'll need to either upload as a script and run it through APEX's script handler or simpler yet, run it via sql developer..

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

• 44. Re: update from Apex 4.0.0.00.46 to 4.2
                                    TexasApexDeveloper

Alexandra,

If you'd like to talk about using Revion as a hosting company and need contact info and such, please  can we take this offline?  I can be contacted at:

texas <dot> apex <dot> developer <at> gmail <dot> com

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

1 2 3 Previous Next