BDB xml Installation

RokoA Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Please how do I install BDB xml  on my computer with Windows 7 Professional

64 bit Operating System?

• 1. Re: BDB xml Installation
    LaurenFoutz Journeyer

Download and run the Windows Installer for BDB XML 2.5.16 at http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/berkeleydb/downloads/index.html That works fine on Windows 7.

If you want to build 2.5.16 from source you will need Visual C++ 2008 or older.  Once you have that you can follow the instructions at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17276_01/html/ref_xml/xml_win/intro.html

Lauren Foutz

• 2. Re: BDB xml Installation
    RokoA Newbie

Hi Lauren,

I installed BDB XML 2.5.16 on my computer with Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Operating System. Then wrote

a java program using its APIs and got the following error:

un:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle\Berkeley DB XML 2.5.16\bin\libdb_java48.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform

at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary1(ClassLoader.java:1957)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1882)

at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1872)

at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:849)

at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1087)

at com.sleepycat.db.internal.db_javaJNI.<clinit>(db_javaJNI.java:38)

at com.sleepycat.db.internal.DbEnv.<init>(DbEnv.java:264)

at com.sleepycat.db.EnvironmentConfig.createEnvironment(EnvironmentConfig.java:3910)

at com.sleepycat.db.EnvironmentConfig.openEnvironment(EnvironmentConfig.java:3863)

at com.sleepycat.db.Environment.<init>(Environment.java:93)

at xmldbdemo.XmldbDemo.main(XmldbDemo.java:29)

Java Result: 1

BUILD SUCCESSFUL (total time: 0 seconds)

• 3. Re: BDB xml Installation
    LaurenFoutz Journeyer

You will have to install a 32 bit version of Java to go with your 32 bit installation of BDB.  After installing the 32 bit Java make sure all your environment variables point to it instead of the 64 bit version.

Lauren Foutz

• 4. Re: BDB xml Installation
    RokoA Newbie

Good day Lauren

I try to install the 32 bit version of Java but I notice it tries to delete the 16 bit version. Is that what you mean?

Can you please explain what  you mean by "After installing the 32 bit Java make sure all your environment variables point to it instead of the 64 bit version." And how to do it?

• 5. Re: BDB xml Installation
    LaurenFoutz Journeyer

It should be possible to install both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Java on your machine, but if you do not need the 64 bit version then it is okay if the 32 bit version deletes it.

When I said "After installing the 32 bit Java make sure all your environment variables point to it instead of the 64 bit version.", I assumed that both the 64 bit version and 32 bit version of Java would be installed on your machine.  In that case you would want the environment variables, like PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH, to point only to the 32 bit version, otherwise you might still get the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Oracle\Berkeley DB XML 2.5.16\bin\libdb_java48.dll: Can't load IA 32-bit .dll on a AMD 64-bit platform" error.

Lauren Foutz

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points