5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 7:23 AM by matthew_morris RSS

ORACLE Certification Exam

summee Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Guys

I am planning to undergo ORACLE 11 g Certification Exam 1Z0-051, 1Z0-052 & 1Z0-053. Recently  Oracle have launched new version of ORACLE DATABASE i.e.  ORACLE 12 c

What is the difference between ORACLE 11 g & ORACLE 12 c in terms of technology,career and certification exam. If I need to become or choose career path in ORACLE DATABASE(DBA) which Exam I need to select. I think I have sufficient theoretical knowledge of ORACLE DATABASE but I want improve my practical skills & knowledge in short I need hands on ORACLE DB. 

Where can I get the study material containing HANDS ON and Assignment  so that  I can improve my practical skills  and knowledge of ORACLE DATABASE by practising them.

Please help me.

• 1. Re: ORACLE Certification Exam
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

summee wrote:

Hello Guys

I am planning to undergo ORACLE 11 g Certification Exam 1Z0-051, 1Z0-052 & 1Z0-053. Recently  Oracle have launched new version of ORACLE DATABASE i.e.  ORACLE 12 c

What is the difference between ORACLE 11 g & ORACLE 12 c in terms of technology,career and certification exam. If I need to become or choose career path in ORACLE DATABASE(DBA) which Exam I need to select. I think I have sufficient theoretical knowledge of ORACLE DATABASE but I want improve my practical skills & knowledge in short I need hands on ORACLE DB.

Where can I get the study material containing HANDS ON and Assignment  so that  I can improve my practical skills  and knowledge of ORACLE DATABASE by practising them.

Please help me.

Well, putting it politely, you should defer the certification for a while as I don't think it's going to help you much at the moment.

For the difference between 11g and 12c, read this book.

Contents

If you want to choose a career path of DBA, what you need to do is to understand the oracle database. 12c is a very recent release and just 2 days ago, in a group of about 600 people at a conference, not a single one mentioned that they are having it in their production systems. That is to be expected too as testing and validations of the new releases take time. 11g, on the other hand is available from a long time. So if it is me, I would start from 11g. For improving your skills, download oracle databas from http://otn.oracle.com and install it and play with it.

Study material is only available for those who pay and attend the courses from either Oracle University or from approved partners. Sharing of it is strictly not allowed. Buy a market exam preparation guide if you are not willing to attend a course yet but just so you know, to earn OCP, you would need to attend one course at least from either OU or from its partner.

Aman....

• 2. Re: ORACLE Certification Exam
    User477708-OC Journeyer

summee wrote:

Hello Guys

Please help me.

If you really, really, really want to do exams, do the 11g ones.  If you're still working in Oracle 3-4 years from now, do the 12 upgrade exams.  It will be another 12-18 months before it starts getting prevalent.  My own site has a pretty progressive upgrade policy and we're -planning to go to 11.2.0.4 from 11.2.0.2 in the next 6 months.  not even looking at 12.

Google `oracle 12c new features` to read what 12c has over its predecessors but as for technology, its pretty much the same. Its a relational database, the core principles of which you should learn and master before going near anything else.  I would suggest not doing an exam unless you need it to get a job, but even then if anyone hired you based on an exam alone, good luck to them (but that's another argument altogether).

• 3. Re: ORACLE Certification Exam
    matthew_morris Expert

Right now, your better bet as the previous poster indicated is to certify in 11g.  The 12c  DBA track is not yet even fully available.  I  wrote an article about why choosing 11g over 12 makes sense for some time.  It was written just before 12c was released, but most of the points are still relevant at this time.

Oracle Certification Prep: Should I Get Certified as an Oracle 11G DBA or as a 12c DBA?

You can find links to certification safe study materials for the three exams of the 11g track at the below URLs:

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-051

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-052

Oracle Certification Prep: Exam details and preparation resources for 1Z0-053

• 4. Re: ORACLE Certification Exam
    summee Newbie

Thanks Matthew Morris for your reply

I also want to know what are the prerequisites for Oracle 1Z0-053 Certification  and what are the different paths  if any.

I heard that I have to undergo a training session or complete the approved course to complete 1Z0-053 Certification i.e. OCP.

Can I complete the course by studying at home or by some other way except training. Finally how much it will cost me considering exam fee ,training/course material and all other facts.

Please guide me guys.

• 5. Re: ORACLE Certification Exam
    matthew_morris Expert

I heard that I have to undergo a training session or complete the approved course to complete 1Z0-053 Certification i.e. OCP.

Can I complete the course by studying at home or by some other way except training.

Finally how much it will cost me considering exam fee ,training/course material and all other facts.

1. Yes -- hands-on training is a requirement to become an 11G OCP DBA.

2. No -- you must complete one of the supplied list of courses (at the URL below) at a location approved by Oracle University.

http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=244

3. The cost varies widely depending on the country you take the exam from and the vendor supplying the course.  I can't (no one can) supply a dollar value estimate that makes any sense.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points