This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 12, 2013 7:21 AM by matthew_morris RSS

Career Development Insight- Consulting

TPDinh Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello everyone, first off I would like to introduce myself on the OTN Community. My name is Thien-Phong Dinh and I am currently a junior at the University of Houston's Bauer College of Business. I have approximately about 3 semesters left before completing my degree in Management Information Systems. I am on to this discussion looking for any insight available from those who have "been there and done that", so please do help and provide your story/insight.

I am relatively young, going to be 22 years of age by the end of this month. I would like to get into the IT Consulting industry once I finish my degree. Reason being for consulting is that I would like to venture outside of Houston and see the world so to speak. I know off the bat that I enjoy organizing data and what this information can do in terms of making better financial business decisions. I had the opportunity this past summer to intern for a small investment bank, Global Hunter Securities, that specialized in oil field and equipment services. Anyways, long story short I was fascinated by what better organized data can be used for in terms of providing investing decisions for clients. I enjoyed designing a custom database with custom queries for GHS while my intern duration and I would like to know what is the best route of getting my foot in the door to becoming an IT Consultant whose area of expertise would be Database Administration/Architect.

I am in the process of preparing for an Oracle Certification sometime this December and would like your insight on what you believe is the best way to get into the IT Consulting industry.

Do I need to get certified by oracle to become an IT Consultant? If so,..

Which certifications will help me land a career starting off as an IT Consultant for Oracle products?

How did you get into the IT Consulting profession?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points