This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2013 7:05 PM by mseberg RSS

Dataguard server relocation downtime

438932 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi Guys,

We are using 2 Node Oracle 11g R2 RAC Cluster on windows 2008 as a primary site and the similar cluster congirations on the secondary site. we are relocating our Secondary Standby Database server to a different site. There will be a atleast 10 hours down time on seondary site while we are moving the physical servers. At the moment we have 200GB space available on Production server for FRA and our daily archive log file generation is 70GB maximum. Could you please let me know what is the best way for me to down the secondary standby server and Up it again on the new site without any issues.

1- Shell I Shutdown the standby server straight away and plug in on new site and it can start recovering from the primary site ? (I know this is not a safe way)

2- Shell I turn the transport OFF on the primary site and then turn it ON on later on new site ?

Any feedback would be appreciated !

Regards,

• 1. Re: Dataguard server relocation downtime
    mseberg Guru

Hello;

Assuming your network and disks are fast enough I would consider setting the Primary to "defer" and then let Data Guard catch up when the new site is ready. If your 70GB is steady over the day then you have about 3GB per hour. So I would figure how long it would take to catch up. I might defer for 30 minutes as a sample size before I try this. But Data Guard should catch up fairly fast once you enable again.

Is the backup on the Standby now?

Is an RMAN roll forward another option?

Best Regards

mseberg

• 2. Re: Dataguard server relocation downtime
    438932 Newbie

Hi mseberg,

Yes our network speed is about 1GB and with the latest fast disks. Could you please let me know when I set Primary to "Defer" what it will do ? and do I need to change this parameter again once the standby server is UP on the new site ?

Regards,

• 3. Re: Dataguard server relocation downtime
    Sunny kichloo Expert

Once you set the archive setting to DEFER it will stop sending archives to Standby Sites.

Once your Standby Set is Up and Running you can again Enable it.

• 4. Re: Dataguard server relocation downtime
    Anar Godjaev Expert

Hi,

In Primary location:

Alter system set LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=defer sid='*';   ---will stop sending archives to Secondary location (Standby)

Secondary location (Standby ) is UP:

STARTUP NOMOUNT
    ALTER DATABASE MOUNT STANDBY DATABASE;
    ALTER DATABASE RECOVER MANAGED STANDBY DATABASE USING CURRENT LOGFILE DISCONNECT FROM SESSION;

In Primary location:

Alter system set LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_STATE_2=enable sid='*';

And check in Secondary location :  select name, value from v$dataguard_Stats;

For example result:

NAME                                              VALUE

-------------------------          --------------------------------------------------

transport lag                                +00 00:00:00

apply lag                                      +00 00:00:00

apply finish time                           +00 00:00:00.000

estimated startup time                 21

Thank you

• 5. Re: Dataguard server relocation downtime
    438932 Newbie

Hi All,

Thanks very much for this really useful information. Just a question (dont mind if this is a stupid question) what will be the impacts if I Down the Standby server without changing any parameter on the Primary server. What happened if the Standby server is Up again do the standby server start receiving files from the Primary server automatically. Just want to know the Pros and Cons.

Regards,

• 6. Re: Dataguard server relocation downtime
    mseberg Guru

Hello;

It may or may not work. I cannot see any Pro to do this. I would use this:

alter system set log_archive_dest_state_2=defer;  

or

DGMGRL> edit database 'stby_dbname' set property 'LogShipping'='OFF';

The con would be spending a lot of time fixing the Standby because you did not run a command that takes 5 seconds.

Best Regards

mseberg

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points