This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2013 7:56 AM by Mike Kutz RSS

Auto generating serial number in report region(line detail) in a master detail form

AnnMary Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I need help in doing this .

This is with regards to the report region in the master detail form . I have line details in my report region where in the ITEMS are  SL NO: , ITEM_ID etc . Now I need a way to auto generate the SL NO as and when I add a new row . Meaning to say

ADD ROW

SL NO:
ITEM ID
UOMQUANTITYHeader 5

so , when I click the ADD ROW

button, the cursor will be automatically placed in the ITEM ID column, there fore SL NO column should be Auto generated  as 4

How can I do this .. Please help me do this

• 1. Re: Auto generating serial number in report region(line detail) in a master detail form
    Ramani_vadakadu Journeyer

please visit this thread and it has been answered .please don't changes the functionally in my workspace becoz i referred many places over OTN.

https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2521256

• 2. Re: Auto generating serial number in report region(line detail) in a master detail form
    AnnMary Newbie

hi Ramani

Thank you very much for your response .I think you din get me right. My doubt is or was regarding to the auto generation of the Serial No in the report region of the master detail form. i.e if i have entered a row in the detail region lets say row (1)..which has SLNo:1 ,, now when i press add row button a new row is inserted .My current application works in such a way that i have to manually feed in the SLNO : as 2. All that i need is .when I press the add row button , A new row generates and i want the SlNo colum to be auto generates as 2 etc .. can u help me with this

• 3. Re: Auto generating serial number in report region(line detail) in a master detail form
    AnnMary Newbie

hi Ramani

Thank you very much for your response .I think you din get me right. My doubt is or was regarding to the auto generation of the Serial No in the report region of the master detail form. i.e if i have entered a row in the detail region lets say row (1)..which has SLNo:1 ,, now when i press add row button a new row is inserted .My current application works in such a way that i have to manually feed in the SLNO : as 2. All that i need is .when I press the add row button , A new row generates and i want the SlNo colum to be auto generates as 2 etc .. can u help me with this ..

And above all this am a beginner in APEX, am just learning things now !

• 4. Re: Auto generating serial number in report region(line detail) in a master detail form

your was asking the apex default functionally. when you create Master /details form that time you can define the trigger/plsql code for auto generate the seq number.

so you don't need the seq/sl number define in apex page(it will insert to your table).

if you want live inserting seq number in screen at row level.? you can visit in my workspace and download the copy try in your local instance.

• 5. Re: Auto generating serial number in report region(line detail) in a master detail form
    AnnMary Newbie

I checked with your application.u have a department called RESEARCH and in that u have

EMP Detail..

now  under this you have ename , job etc ..

Now what am asking is  before ename and job etc ..if you had a column called

Sl No: its likes this

DELETE CHECKED ROW       ADD ROW                                       

Sl No:    ENAME             JOB                  MGR

1.           JONES        MANAGER               7839

2.           SCOTT         ANALYST             7566

?             FORD          ANALYST              7566

now i want to auto generate  the Sl NO: .. I want to know how to do this.. If you can tell me step by step procedure to do this ..i mean like the apex wizard ..eg : edit page -> page rendering ->edit -report region (like wise )

• 6. Re: Auto generating serial number in report region(line detail) in a master detail form

Application Builder>Application 112>Page 1 >FORM>Create Master Detail..SELECT DEPT(TABLE) AS MASTER AND SELECT EMP(TABLE) AS CHILS..Define Primary Key  > Custom PL/SQL function FOR each table.

DECLARE

L_PRIMARY_KEY NUMBER;

BEGIN

SELECT NVL(MAX(DEPTNO),0) + 1

INTO   L_PRIMARY_KEY

FROM   DEPT;

RETURN L_PRIMARY_KEY;

END;

finished the steps. run the page the master child form will be shown>edit the child query region>drive the Empno column add new column Sl_number(this is new column to shown in child view).

add now row and submit the page.it will insert new row in child table based on the seq value.

• 7. Re: Auto generating serial number in report region(line detail) in a master detail form
    Mike Kutz Expert

This may be a late entry, but here goes:

If the sequence of numbers is for display purpose only, and the details report is based on a SELECT statement, just use the SQL pseudo-column ROWNUM.

example:

SELECT ROWNUM as SL_NUM

,ITEM_ID

FROM DETAILS_TABLE

WHERE MASTER_PK_ID = :P7_MASTER_PK_ID

Whatever you do, DO NOT try to generate your own Primary Key value.

MK

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points