13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 17, 2013 4:51 PM by Dude! RSS

linux migration

user12075620

Hi Experts,

could you please share your experiences/issues encountered during AIX to Linux migration(oracle 11gr2).  I would highly appreciate if you provide the necessary steps for migration..

Thanks in advance,

Richard

• 1. Re: linux migration
          rukbat

Moderator Action:

This post has been moved from the non-Oracle to Oracle Database Migration forum space,

to the Oracle Installation forum space, for closer topic alignment.

(...and your other duplicate post has been removed.  One topic = one post, no duplicates.)

• 2. Re: linux migration
            user12075620

Thanks . We are migrating from Oracle 11g (AIX) to Linux (oracle 11g r2) and it's not "non-oracle to oracle database migration". Please help me some pointers on this.

• 3. Re: linux migration
              Dude!

AIX and Linux are different endian machines. You will either have to use export and import or RMAN to convert tablespaces or datafiles. The process is explained in the usual documentation.

• 4. Re: linux migration
                user12075620

Thank a lot. I would like to know the impact in two ways

1. Migrating from AIX to LINUX - Any challenging issues, supported/de-supported options, performance issue with a lot sessions? shell script compatibility?

1. Oracle 11g r1 to Oracle 11g r2 -any performance issue encountered so far, major init.ora parameter changes?

Thanks a lot for your time.

• 5. Re: linux migration
                  Dude!

The best you can probably do is to make sure the databases on both systems use the same patch level. Machine specific patches usually depend on database configuration and use. To address possible performance issues you will probably want to configure Oracle under Linux to use kernel hugepages instead of AMM Posix shared memory /dev/shm. Very Large Memory and HugePages

• 6. Re: linux migration
                    user12075620

Thanks..Are there any recommendations for swap space and shmmax configurations. Any specific init.ora parameters changes from db side?

• 7. Re: linux migration
                      Srini Chavali-Oracle

Review MOS Doc 1156586.1 for kernel parameters, settings and such.

init.ora parameters that are deprecated/obsolete are documented - Behavior Changes After Upgrading Oracle Database

If you do not use these in your current instance, you should be good from an init.ora perspective.

It is best to perform a test migration/upgrade using a copy of the production database and hardware to determine what issues you may run into, before actually attempting this in production. How big is your database and how much downtime can you afford ?

HTH
                      Srini

• 8. Re: linux migration
                        user12075620

Thanks Srini. My current database size is around 56 GB and we are using 11g r1 on AIX. It would be great if you can the steps/checklists for successful migration from AIX (11g r1) to Linux (11g r2). Any challenging issues encountered from your experience. As suggested, we are planning to do test migration after careful study. Any pointers/notes would be highly appreciated.  Some of the scripts were developed in korn-shell and the jobs were scheduled using the Autosys. I thought of doing a research before recommending the same to management.

Thanks so much for your service to oracle community.

Regards,

Richard

• 9. Re: linux migration
                          Srini Chavali-Oracle

Which method you can use to migrate your database will depend on the amount of downtime you can afford and how much you want to spend on this migration - see MOS Doc 733205.1. On the surface, this is a common and straightforward migration process. ksh is supported on all *nix versions and your scripts should run without issues. This is where careful planning and thorough testing pays off

HTH
                          Srini

• 10. Re: linux migration
                            user12075620

Hi Srini,

I have a login issue with my MOS now. Is it possible to post the content of the "MOS Doc 733205.1." please. Thanks for your help.  Also note that our current DB is 2 node cluster db.

• 11. Re: linux migration
                              Srini Chavali-Oracle

Posting of MOS Doc content is prohibited - pl work with your MOS Customer User Admin in your organization on your MOS access issues

HTH
                              Srini

• 12. Re: linux migration
                                user12075620

Thanks Srini. Let me work with customer support to resolve this issue. From your experience, could you please pass on the steps for migration,precautions ,important parameters changes in OS and 11g r2 configuration for better performance.  I am not expecting line by line details. At least few points/pointers at high level would be great.

• 13. Re: linux migration
                                  Dude!

Configuring a Linux system for Oracle database is a complex task. There is no one fits all answer and it is not possible to explain to you all the variations of a possible solution without knowing any details about your database and system configuration. There is plenty of information on the web. You will have to do some homework. AIX is not Linux. Perhaps the following link has some useful considerations: SHMALL Sizing with Oracle Automatic Memory Management (AMM)