4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2013 8:42 AM by alejagom_es

Trouble installing OEID 3.1 (linux environment)

alejagom_es

Hi all,

I´m facing the exact same problem with 7.6.0 server installation as in Trouble installing OEID 3.1. However, I decided to start a new discussion as I think the environment is different and the solutions provided didn´t work (if done correct, which I´m not sure at all) Only difference is port, which is 7051 because I changed it as it is in the same virtual machine as OBI. And environment:

I´m running the server in a Oracle Enterprise Linux 6 virtual machine, while win7 is the host OS.

Error returned:    

[oracle@xxxxx endeca-cmd]$ ./endeca-cmd create-dd testing --port 7051

SEVERE: Error while invoking endpoint "http://localhost:7051/endeca-server/ws/manage" from client

endeca-cmd encountered a problem.

caused by:

The Endeca Server returned an error: OES-000169: Could not connect to Endeca Server at 192:7051

caused by:

OES-000169: Could not connect to Endeca Server at 192:7051

I tried to modify the linux hosts file (adding the name both before and after localhost) having right now:

192.168.0.101    oel6lab

127.0.0.1   localhost

I also tried the loopback adapter solution mentioned in the other discussion but didn't work for me. However, I´m probably doing something wrong.

Any chance you can explain how you solved for a "junior profile" (dummies "step by step" guide) bearing linux OS environment?

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Alejandro

• 1. Re: Trouble installing OEID 3.1 (linux environment)
          Branchbird - Pat

Hi Alejandro,

I have an open ticket with Oracle on the same issue but for Windows.  I hadn't seen this on Linux as of yet but you can try a couple of temporary workarounds.

First, I always get this issue when I have the standard hosts entry of 127.0.0.1 localhost.  Not sure why (Oracle is investigating) but it's guaranteed to fail on my laptop.  If you get rid of that entry and add an entry for your machine name to 127.0.0.1, and re-start Endeca Server, I think you should be in better shape.

Good hosts file

127.0.0.1    prafferty-branchbird

Bad hosts file (note: a lot of Windows machines will have this by default)

127.0.0.1 localhost

I have to believe there's an actual fix for this coming but this will, hopefully, get you past the issue for the moment. 

Patrick Rafferty

http://branchbird.com

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Trouble installing OEID 3.1 (linux environment)
            alejagom_es

Thanks for your answer.

My hosts file looks like this now:

127.0.0.1    oel6

However, I am still having the same result:

[oracle@oel6 endeca-cmd]$ ./endeca-cmd create-dd testing --port 7051

SEVERE: Error while invoking endpoint "http://localhost:7051/endeca-server/ws/manage" from client

endeca-cmd encountered a problem.

caused by:

The Endeca Server returned an error: OES-000169: Could not connect to Endeca Server at 192:7051

caused by:

OES-000169: Could not connect to Endeca Server at 192:7051

oel6 (hostname) works properly when invoking http://oel6:7051/console but of course, not localhost:7051/console.

The server invokes localhost, so I suppose it is not possible for it to resolve it without that in the hosts file, is it?

Thank you again for your help,

Alejandro

Edited:

Also tried following line:

[oracle@oel6 endeca-cmd]$ ./endeca-cmd create-dd testing --port 7051 --host oel6

Got same result even though new address is "http://oel6:7051/endeca-server/ws/manage"

• 3. Re: Trouble installing OEID 3.1 (linux environment)
              Branchbird - Pat

Can you try to have 192.168.0.101 resolve to oel6 as well?  So, should look something like this:

192.168.0.101    oel6

127.0.0.1   oel6

#nothing for localhost

That at least works for me temporarily on my own laptop.  Still feels like a bug of some kind since I don't think the final answer is to edit the hosts file in a production deployment on Windows.

I experienced the same problem where supplying the host name to endeca-cmd still did not work.  The reason is that the error is generated server side after the request gets to the engine. 

Patrick

• 4. Re: Trouble installing OEID 3.1 (linux environment)
                alejagom_es

I´m sorry I couldn´t try it before but, it worked!

I removed the localhost reference letting the hosts file as you suggested:

192.168.0.101    oel6

127.0.0.1   oel6

# nothing else

It works properly (endeca-cmd, bulk add/replace records...). Only "issue" is that I have to type --host xxx every time when invoking the server.

(I wrote the solution in case it is useful for someone else)

Thank you very much for your help,

Best regards,

Alejandro