This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2013 10:22 AM by clcarter Branched from an earlier discussion. RSS

Re: sqldeveloper and jdeveloper cannot connect to xe service

vamshi131 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi RusseIIM,

Even i am facing the same issue.

when my office PC is connected to n/w, nothing workson OracleXE.

If not everything works fine.

My PC is secured with Mcaffee.

can any one help?

Thanks & regards,

Vamshi P.

• 1. Re: sqldeveloper and jdeveloper cannot connect to xe service
    clcarter Expert

Please start a new thread/question, it might be a similar scenario but helpful responses might be more ... responsive.

Which OS (Windows? 7? x86? Home Ed.?) In a DOS command box (windows) enabling the QuickEdit mode allows copying text into the clipboard, that can be helpful. Highlight and press <enter> on the output from a `lsnrctl status` command. Also, its a "good thing to do" to sanitize or clean up your IP networking info, e.g. replace any <N.N.N.N> address(es) with "N.N.N.N".

The listener pretty much requires an IP address or a *correct* host `hostname` for the services to get set up correctly. The listener is for servicing remote connections on a network address from remote clients. With no network, most likely the instance listener setup won't be quite correct.

• 2. Re: sqldeveloper and jdeveloper cannot connect to xe service
    rukbat Guru Moderator

vamshi131 wrote:

Hi RusseIIM,

Even i am facing the same issue.

Moderator Action:

Your post was hijacking attention away from the thread you appended it to.

It has now been branched away to stand on its own.

It is poor forum etiquette to hijack someone else's thread.

Always start your own new post when you have some question.

If you think another forum thread is relevant, just paste a reference link to it .

• 3. Re: sqldeveloper and jdeveloper cannot connect to xe service
    clcarter Expert

Take a look (in a cmd box) at your `ipconfig /all` output. If there truly is no network interfaces configured, starting up a listener won't work very well with the out-of-the-box setup.

Doesn't matter how its configured, when there is no network, there is no way to (reliably) start a listener. Depending on how the host networking was configured at install time, the %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin\listener.ora file may require some adjustment(s).

A possible workaround might be setting the ...HOST= to the 0.0.0.0 "any IP" address. That might get the listener to service the loopback interface when all other network interfaces are unavailable. Its localhost a.k.a. 127.0.0.1, and the *only* place one can hit the 127.0.0.1 address is when one tries from that particular host. Loopback is mainly used to check if TCP/IP is installed/configured.