This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2013 7:38 PM by scott.wesley RSS

Enkitec navbar performance issue

user638545 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All,

I am facing performance issue while loading the Enkitec navbar. (the same issue discussed in Enkitec Navbar vertical list appears momentarily

I coped the files to ../apex/pluigins/nav directory in my linux where apex is installed. The i modified the #PLUGIN_PREFIX# with the /pluigins/nav.

When i run the app, i get an "Authentication Required" popup appears.

Any idea why could be wrong with my setting?

Thanks

Vignesh

• 1. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    scott.wesley Guru

Thank you for asking this as new question.

My guess is it's unrelated. Run your page in debug mode and see what is triggering the authentication - speaking of which, what exactly does this mean?

Authentication means log in.

Or does it say you're not authorised?

What is the exact message?

• 2. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    user638545 Newbie

Hi Scott,

I have the snapshot of the auth popup , i got when i modified #PLUGIN_PREFIX# to /plugin/navbar/

https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1xQ2czVWPiAssFooZHHLrJMhlGakc9Roo9JdSpGib1Fc/edit?usp=sharing

the popup message reads

A username and password are being requested by http://xxx.com:8080. The site says: "XDB"

Please let me know how to fix this

• 3. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    Bas de Klerk Pro

Hi,

I normally create a directory below the images dir, so for example /images/plugins/navbar

If you reference that as /i/plugins/navbar it should work as far as I know.

If this does not work it might be relevant to tell us if you're using apex listener or EPG.

Cheers

Bas

• 4. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    dmcghan Oracle ACE

Hi Vignesh,

Looks like you're using XE with the EPG, correct?

I remember having a similar issue in the past. Unfortunately I don't remember how to solve it and rather than try to find that answer I'll suggest another solution: switch to the APEX Listener. This is a free option that may sound a little daunting at first but it will work much better and offer you some features that aren't available without it.

Good luck!

Regards,

Dan

• 5. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    user638545 Newbie

Hi Bas, Dan,

I am using EPG.

• 6. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    scott.wesley Guru

In that case I imagine you're just moving sideways by shifting the location of your files.

You might as well keep them defined within the plugin.

• 7. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    Bas de Klerk Pro

Hi Scott,

I think there is an advantage to placing the files in a self defined location, the files can then be cached ( and I think otherwise that does not work ), not 100% sure about that but combined with a reverse apache proxy that is my experience.

@Vignesh, have you tried my suggested solution ?

regards

Bas

• 8. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    user638545 Newbie

Hi Bas,

Hope you are suggesting switching to APEX listener. I have not tried it yet.

I have installed Web Logic in some other box, can i install APEX listener in that box and link it to this DB?

Is there any step by step guide for that, which i can follow to port my APEX from EPG to APEX listener.

Thanks

Vignesh

• 9. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    Bas de Klerk Pro

Hi Vignesh,

Hope you are suggesting switching to APEX listener. I have not tried it yet.

No, Im suggesting to place your files in another directory and to reference them from your plugin in a different way. My answer earlier was :

"I normally create a directory below the images dir, so for example /images/plugins/navbar

If you reference that as /i/plugins/navbar it should work as far as I know."

But the APEX listener is a better solution overall ( I think ) so if you consider switching from EPG to APEX Listener you might also solve you're problem while switching

I have installed Web Logic in some other box, can i install APEX listener in that box and link it to this DB?

Sure you can. You can also use APEX listener standalone (on the same box as where the listener is ) which is probably easier to try.

Is there any step by step guide for that, which i can follow to port my APEX from EPG to APEX listener.

Not sure about that. You could google and see.

An easy way is to use the APEX listener installation guide. If you did not customize any files in your apex installation you can run the APEX listener on your APEX installation directory ( which contains all the css/image etc files you need ). If you did customize files you need to export/copy them from your EPG ( you can connect to the database "filesystem" of your EPG via FTP ) back to the directory used by the listener.

Besides that switching from EPG to the listener is just turn off the EPG ( exec dbms_xdb.sethttport(0); ) and start the APEX listener. Start off by reading the APEX listener installation guide.

regards,

Bas

• 10. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    scott.wesley Guru

If you're using EPG then it's going to be tough separating out directorise unless you're a wiz at XDB, even then I'm not sure what the performance advantage would be.

If you have the option to change to some HTTP server (Apache/Tomcat/WLS), then apex listener or not you'll have your supporting files on the file system and the advantages thereof.

As Bas suggests, hit up the installation instructions

Oracle Application Express Installation Overview

and turn off the EPG

• 11. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    user638545 Newbie

Hi All,

Sorry for the delayed response. Had issues getting permission installing APEX Listener.

I installed APEX in stand alone mode and connected apex with this.

But i am not sure where to place the .js and .css files of the Nav bar. should i place in DB or in the Apex Listener server?

In apex listener it asked for static content folder. There is an apex folder. should i place there?

Please assist me.

Thanks

Vignesh

• 12. Re: Enkitec navbar performance issue
    scott.wesley Guru

The script that starts your standalone listener points to the images folder, which is represented by #IMAGE_PREFIX#

This is how apex access your themes and other supporting files.

You could create a folder under this path, and refer to it using #IMAGE_PREFIX#my_plugins/

Note - standalone is not recommended for production use.

Installing Oracle Application Express Listener

Standalone mode is suitable for development use only, and is not supported for use in production deployments. Use a supported Java EE application server for production deployments.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points