2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 22, 2013 7:47 AM by CKPT RSS

Non-ASM to ASM DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT question

Good day. I am setting up a data guard environment in which the existing primary is non-ASM and the new auxiliary will be ASM. I am trying to determine the correct entries for the parameters DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT. Can someone please tell me if I'm following the right path?

On the primary (non-ASM) I go into SQLPLUS:

SQL> select file_name from dba_data_files;

SQL> select member from v$logfile;

My standby is a new install with ASM and a software-only installation of Oracle 11r2 so it doesn't necessarily have any files yet, but besides the system drive, it has 4 disks. DISK1 and DISK2 are in ASM Disk Group "DATA" and DISK3 and DISK4 are in ASM Disk Group "FRA".

Is the below how my parameters would look?

On primary:

And on the standby the entries would be reversed?

Lastly, if i were to add a third data guard server into this situation, would I just tack on another comma and add a third entry in the above parameters?

• 1. Re: Non-ASM to ASM DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT question

To the last question both of these parameter work in pairs. So no to the third entry. If you add a third just make it the same as the ASM one and your done.

Your parameters look OK to me, but I cannot see your ASM

Example :

Yes, the other way around for the standby.

See E10642-03 under the section "Using the DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT to Generate Names for Non-OMF or ASM Datafiles" fro more information.

Best Regards

• 2. Re: Non-ASM to ASM DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT question

On primary:

When primary is on non-asm and standby is on ASM, then the first string should always belongs to primary and then the next string of course belongs to standby.. If your data files situated in multiple locations, then you can add more as required.

An example here below, you can mention "+DATA" instead of "+DATA/prodDB" if you are using OMF and Oracle takes the directory based on the DB_UNIQUE_NAME you set, So disk group can do your job.

The same applicable to LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT as well.

Some link for you to go through.