7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2013 12:03 PM by TSharma-Oracle RSS

oracle patch in general

user12075620

I have the following questions to with regards to oracle patch

1. I learnt from my senior DBA saying that applying patch may bring another bug? is this true? Can you share your experience, if any?

2. Is this good idea to apply all the patches for a specific version(let's say oracle 11g r1) without consulting Oracle support

as a best practice?

3. Whether the patch script will vary for ASM and non-ASM instance? or would be the same?

4. How the Oracle bug id differs from patch set? In some cases, the patchset is same as bug id? is there any way to distinguish these two terms?

5. Is there any way to identify the list of patches and bugs fixed by quering the oracle database dictionary?

6. Is this good idea to apply bunch of patchsets in one-go rather than one by one. I mean apply one patch and waiting for 1-2 weeks and if we don't face any issues apply the second patch and so on.

7.  Do we need to apply the patch instance by instance (clustered db) or just database?

It would be great if you someone clears my bugging queries on oracle patch.

Thanks so much for knowledge sharing.

• 1. Re: oracle patch in general
          TSharma-Oracle

user12075620 wrote:

I have the following questions to with regards to oracle patch

1. I learnt from my senior DBA saying that applying patch may bring another bug? is this true? Can you share your experience, if any?

There is always a chance that applying a patch could introduce another bug. So don't fix it if ain't broke.

2. Is this good idea to apply all the patches for a specific version(let's say oracle 11g r1) without consulting Oracle support

as a best practice?

Oracle always recommends you to stay on the latest always. But again don't fix it if it aint broke.( except security patches)

3. Whether the patch script will vary for ASM and non-ASM instance? or would be the same?

You patch oracle binaries and then run the script in database. shouldn't vary.

4. How the Oracle bug id differs from patch set? In some cases, the patchset is same as bug id? is there any way to distinguish these two terms?

Patchset could consist number of bug fixes.

5. Is there any way to identify the list of patches and bugs fixed by quering the oracle database dictionary?

NO

6. Is this good idea to apply bunch of patchsets in one-go rather than one by one. I mean apply one patch and waiting for 1-2 weeks and if we don't face any issues apply the second patch and so on.

If you are applying patch sets, you are already applying number of bug fixes.

7.  Do we need to apply the patch instance by instance (clustered db) or just database?

????

It would be great if you someone clears my bugging queries on oracle patch.

Thanks so much for knowledge sharing.

• 2. Re: oracle patch in general
            user12075620

Thanks sharma for your response.

Q1: So don't fix it if ain't broke?.  -we may not notice the issue at the initial stage. If we hit the bug after applying series of patches, how will come to know which patch has created this bug? and how to revert?

Q2: Does it mean we can apply all the up-to-date patches without consulting oracle support?

Q4 : I have seen some cases, the patchset is same as the bug id. That's why I am trying to understand the differences between these two

q5: I read somewhere we can query the details dba_hist_repository ( something like that). Not sure whether this dictionary will provide all the patches/bugs fixed

q6 : Here I am talking about only patchsets. Can we apply two patchsets at the same time? If yes, if there are any bug, how are we going to identify which patch set has caused this bug??

q7: My question was patchset has to applied instance by instance(let's assume 2 node cluster) or just at the database level? may be novice question for you.

Thanks for your time sharma.  Please comment

• 3. Re: oracle patch in general
              TSharma-Oracle

user12075620 wrote:

Thanks sharma for your response.

Q1: So don't fix it if ain't broke?.  -we may not notice the issue at the initial stage. If we hit the bug after applying series of patches, how will come to know which patch has created this bug? and how to revert?

Ask Oracle. and you should be testing the patch in your test environment first.

Q2: Does it mean we can apply all the up-to-date patches without consulting oracle support?

That's oracle recommendation always to be on latest patch so YES

Q4 : I have seen some cases, the patchset is same as the bug id. That's why I am trying to understand the differences between these two

If this is one-off patch or like patch consist the fix of only that bug-id , you will normally see patch number same as bug number.

q5: I read somewhere we can query the details dba_hist_repository ( something like that). Not sure whether this dictionary will provide all the patches/bugs fixed

I misread your question before. Yes the table name is registry$history

q6 : Here I am talking about only patchsets. Can we apply two patchsets at the same time? If yes, if there are any bug, how are we going to identify which patch set has caused this bug??

Patch sets are commutative. So if you apply latest patch set it will include all previous patches. You can apply multiple single patches.

q7: My question was patchset has to applied instance by instance(let's assume 2 node cluster) or just at the database level? may be novice question for you.

You have apply the patch on all the binaries where instances are running.

Thanks for your time sharma.  Please comment

• 4. Re: oracle patch in general
                user12075620

Thanks so much for your reponse. However, I am not getting Q7 response. Can you explain in detail,please?

• 5. Re: oracle patch in general
                  TSharma-Oracle

RAC means 2 nodes 2 instances means 2 binaries(one on one node 2nd on 2nd one). You have to pally patches on both nodes binaries BUT you can run the post patch script only once in the database.

Mark your question as answered if you think your question has been answered.

• 6. Re: oracle patch in general
                    user12075620

I am impressed with your answers.finally one question  "you can run the post patch script only once in the database? are you talking about the validation/verify script for the patch??

• 7. Re: oracle patch in general
                      TSharma-Oracle

NO If there are any POST patch scripts. You will find in patching document when you will apply some patch. Patching docs have step step instructions.