This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2013 3:52 PM by fac586 RSS

Column Links in Apex Reports

Doug Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am using version 4.0 of APEX.  My question concerns linking to other APEX pages from a report.  In APEX we link to another page, which may be a form or another report, by using a column in the report as a link column.  Any column may be used to transfer values from any other column.  This works fine, but the disadvantage is that whichever column is used as the link column has a heading which identifies the column's purpose but may not identify the purpose of the transition to another page.  In Oracle Forms, we could use buttons as a column of the multi-row screen (i.e. same as APEX report), and the button's label identified the purpose for the transition.

Is there any way to create a column in an APEX report  to serve the same purpose as the button in Oracle Forms?

• 1. Re: Column Links in Apex Reports
    fac586 Guru

Doug wrote:

I am using version 4.0 of APEX.  My question concerns linking to other APEX pages from a report.  In APEX we link to another page, which may be a form or another report, by using a column in the report as a link column.  Any column may be used to transfer values from any other column.  This works fine, but the disadvantage is that whichever column is used as the link column has a heading which identifies the column's purpose but may not identify the purpose of the transition to another page.  In Oracle Forms, we could use buttons as a column of the multi-row screen (i.e. same as APEX report), and the button's label identified the purpose for the transition.

Is there any way to create a column in an APEX report  to serve the same purpose as the button in Oracle Forms?

When discussing "reports" it is essential to indicate whether this means a standard report or an interactive report in order to receive an appropriate response.

It is possible to create a link column that is distinct from report data columns. In standard reports, this is done using the Add Column Link option from the Tasks menu in the right sidebar of the Report Attributes page. In interactive reports, define a Link Column on the Report Attributes page.

To provide further information about links to users in both cases, specify an HTML title attribute for the link in the Link Attributes property of the link definition. This will be rendered as a tooltip when the cursor hovers over the link in visual browsers, and as an audio cue on navigation to the link when using a screen reader.

• 2. Re: Column Links in Apex Reports
    Doug Newbie

Thank you, fac586.  That was very helpful, particularly the "Add Column Link" part.  I tried the "HTML title," but it caused what I specified  in the "Link Attributes" property to appear as text in the link column.  It did not appear as a tool tip.  How do I mark this question as answered?

• 3. Re: Column Links in Apex Reports
    fac586 Guru

Doug wrote:

Thank you, fac586.  That was very helpful, particularly the "Add Column Link" part.  I tried the "HTML title," but it caused what I specified  in the "Link Attributes" property to appear as text in the link column.  It did not appear as a tool tip.

Create an example on apex.oracle.com reproducing what you did so we can figure out what's wrong. It should be very straightforward, simply entering the required title attribute in the Link Attributes property, referencing any column values from the report using #COLUMN# syntax:

title="This explains the link for #ENAME#"

How do I mark this question as answered?

Click the Correct Answer button marked with the green star.

• 4. Re: Column Links in Apex Reports
    Doug Newbie

Thanks for the example.  I got it to work.  Is the same possible for buttons or lists?

• 5. Re: Column Links in Apex Reports
    fac586 Guru

Doug wrote:

Thanks for the example.  I got it to work.  Is the same possible for buttons or lists?

Yes. For buttons add the title using the Button Attributes property. The button template may need to be edited to include the #BUTTON_ATTRIBUTES# substitution string. For lists, use a User Defined attribute and the corresponding #A01#..#A10# substitution string in the template.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points