This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2013 4:50 AM by Fabricio_Jorge RSS

Configuring a physical standby database in 9i

Fabricio_Jorge Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

SO: Solaris 10 SPARC x64

DB: 9.2.0.6 x64

I have a task of creating a physical standby database in a solaris 10 - Oracle 9.2.0.6 env. I am used to do this configuration on the 11.2 version of Oracle, and because of that i have some doubts regarding the possible different configurations necessary to do in a 9i Database.

1) The main doubt that i have is regarding the RMAN use. I Would like to know if it is possible to restore a normal backup of my primary database into the standby database, and after that, apply the necessary archived logs to sync the standby with the primary? The controlfile that i would use would be the one created by the  "BACKUP CURRENT CONTROLFILE FOR STANDBY" RMAN command. The RMAN script woulb be like the one below:

run {

allocate channel ch01 device type disk;

allocate channel ch02 device type disk;

allocate channel ch03 device type disk;

allocate channel ch04 device type disk;

restore controlfile from 'standby_controlfile.ctl';

sql 'alter database mount';

restore database;

recover database;

}

2) The directory structure will be the same, so i think it is not necessary to use the SET NEWNAME and the DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT/LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT, is that correct?

3) Do you have any other considerations regarting the differences between a 9i and a 11g Physical Standby Configuration?

Thanks for your attention and pacience.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points