This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 12:38 AM by user11221081 RSS

Data guard in sap

user11221081 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello Gurus

I need to implement data guard in sap on windows.

i have configured data guard earlier on windows successfully but with cold backup.Now as its sap i have some doubts.

If someone has did same kind or possess idea.PLEASE HELP

Details--SAP ERP6.0EHP6

ORACLE 11.2.0.3

WINDOWS 2008 EE R2 64BIT

db size 1.2TB

1)can i take online backup WITH BR TOOL and store it on DR as my client used to take it and says that we can use it or i need rman backup so as to create DR.

2)Is DR implementation in SAP is same as normal.Do i need to follow the same kind of approach as i did in normal setup or its different.

Regards

• 1. Re: Data guard in sap
    CKPT Guru

1)can i take online backup WITH BR TOOL and store it on DR as my client used to take it and says that we can use it or i need rman backup so as to create DR.

indeed BR tools are supported even on standby database also, In detail check this link.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/c7fdfa39-0d01-0010-b2a2-d9341d3fc504?overridelayout=true

2)Is DR implementation in SAP is same as normal.Do i need to follow the same kind of approach as i did in normal setup or its different.

Implementation is same and there are no changes, But you can't use of ADG(Active Data Guard)

• 2. Re: Data guard in sap
    user11221081 Newbie

ALSO client is asking that on standby its required that sid be same as primary because sap uses it.

So is it possible to configure data guard with same sid's on primary and standby.

also as i keep sid same the directory structure would be same in that case like

on primary --E:\oracle\db\ppm

on standby- E:\oracle\db\ppm

so no need to use parameter db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert

so would it be a fine configuration of data guard

• 3. Re: Data guard in sap
    CKPT Guru

ALSO client is asking that on standby its required that sid be same as primary because sap uses it. So is it possible to configure data guard with same sid's on primary and standby.

You can have same instance_names because primary and standby resides in two locations/servers.

also as i keep sid same the directory structure would be same in that case like

on primary --E:\oracle\db\ppm

on standby- E:\oracle\db\ppm

so no need to use parameter db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert

so would it be a fine configuration of data guard

You can have same or different directory structure for data files, its based on your environment. If you would like to keep directory structure same as primary  then you no need to set DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT, LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT any more..

HTH

Incoming Links

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points