4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2013 3:36 AM by Karan Kukreja RSS

data guard sid

user11221081

Dear Gurus

I need to implemement data guard in sap.client is asking that on standby its required that sid be same as primary because sap uses it.

So is it possible to configure data guard with same sid's on primary and standby.

also as i keep sid same the directory structure would be same in that case like

on primary --E:\oracle\db\ppm

on standby- E:\oracle\db\ppm

so no need to use parameter db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert

so would it be a fine configuration of data guard

OS--Windows2008

Oracle 11g

• 1. Re: data guard sid
          Karan Kukreja

Hi ,

1.Primary and Standby databases will have the same SID ( and DB_NAME), however they need to have different DB_UNIQUE_NAME for configuration  .

2. I understand that the servers are different and so you can have the same file structure and then you need not have to use the db_file_name_convert parameter.

3. Please follow the document below for setting up a Data guard system. you may choose either the cold backup or hot backup / active duplicate for standby to create your data guard.

Creating a Physical Standby Database

http://oracledbasblog.blogspot.in/2013/03/how-to-create-physical-standby-using.html

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e41134/rcmbackp.htm#SBYDB01500

credits to the blog writer

HTH

KK

• 2. Re: data guard sid
            CKPT

user11221081 wrote:

Dear Gurus

I need to implemement data guard in sap.client is asking that on standby its required that sid be same as primary because sap uses it.

So is it possible to configure data guard with same sid's on primary and standby.

also as i keep sid same the directory structure would be same in that case like

on primary --E:\oracle\db\ppm

on standby- E:\oracle\db\ppm

so no need to use parameter db_file_name_convert and log_file_name_convert

so would it be a fine configuration of data guard

OS--Windows2008

Oracle 11g

i already updated in earlier thread, see my post here Re: Data guard in sap

• 3. Re: data guard sid
              user11221081

Presently we have primary with sid prod

now client has already created database on physical with sid prod.Its just we need to copy backup and make necessary configurations so there is no need to create service name also.

Is it right way

• 4. Re: data guard sid
                Karan Kukreja

Hi ,

Its not that you create 2 databases in 2 different servers with the same name and it will work. You need to create the standby database from the primary database only,  after making the  required configurations.  Also , the way to make the standby database from the primary has already been specified in the links I have shared below. Use that and create a standby . Standby can have the same file structure or a different one. Since you have the same one you need not give the db_file_name_convert and simply create and check.

HTH

KK