1 person found this helpful
I know that 10g is no longer supported and that is a good reason to upgrade
Besides that if you are not using the few new features in forms 11g an upgrade would mean
- new certifications with new OS
- Java7 certification
- Security Updates you won't get with the 10g version anymore as it has reached EOL.
If you are using Discoverer you could make use of the 11.1.1.x Version as Discoverer is bundled with that Version as well and you'll have one Oracle Home instead of two. If you think this means the whole installation will use less resources because auf this however you are mistaken...
Another query I have for you is on the Oracle 11g forms. Does the forms automatically adjust to the resolution that is set on different PC? We are using Windows.
this works in 10g as well; however if your forms are pixel based it won't work and you'll have to redesign your forms.
Thanks very much for your help
Here are some of the very high level points for upgrading that I use in one of my presenations:
- Take advantage of being certified on modern platforms
- Take advantage of new features and enhancements
- Take advantage of performance and scalability improvements
- Take advantage of easier and improved integration with other products
- Ensure compatibility with newer Oracle products
- Ensure the highest level of security
- Make upgrading to the next version easier
- Remain protected with uninterrupted support