3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2013 11:00 AM by Michael Ferrante-Oracle RSS

Upgrade from Oracle 10g to 11g advantages

REM1506

Hi guys,

I am trying to 'sell' an upgrade to a customer. They are currently using orcale 10g Forms & Reports and Oracle 10g Discoverer.

I know that 10g is no longer supported and that is a good reason to upgrade but I would like to include some more bumf with the upgrade option.

I have looked through lots of documentation and can find lots of very technical advantages but what I am looking for is some non-technical advantages to the upgrade. One that a non technical person can understand.

I know one is that it will be faster and more secure but can anyone help me out and give me a few pointers?

Another query I have for you is on the Oracle 11g forms. Does the forms automatically adjust to the resolution that is set on different PC?  We are using Windows.

Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Upgrade from Oracle 10g to 11g advantages
          Christian Erlinger
          I know that 10g is no longer supported and that is a good reason to upgrade

Besides that if you are not using the few new features in forms 11g an upgrade would mean

- new certifications with new OS

- Java7 certification

- Security Updates you won't get with the 10g version anymore as it has reached EOL.

If you are using Discoverer you could make use of the 11.1.1.x Version as Discoverer is bundled with that Version as well and you'll have one Oracle Home instead of two. If you think this means the whole installation will use less resources because auf this however you are mistaken...

Another query I have for you is on the Oracle 11g forms. Does the forms automatically adjust to the resolution that is set on different PC?  We are using Windows.

see

ClientDPI on Windows platforms

this works in 10g as well; however if your forms are pixel based it won't work and you'll have to redesign your forms.

cheers

• 2. Re: Upgrade from Oracle 10g to 11g advantages
            REM1506

Thanks very much for your help

• 3. Re: Upgrade from Oracle 10g to 11g advantages
              Michael Ferrante-Oracle

Here are some of the very high level points for upgrading that I use in one of my presenations:

• Take advantage of being certified on modern platforms
              • Take advantage of new features and enhancements
              • Take advantage of performance and scalability improvements
              • Take advantage of easier and improved integration with other products
              • Ensure compatibility with newer Oracle products
              • Ensure the highest level of security
              • Make upgrading to the next version easier
              • Remain protected with uninterrupted support