This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2013 10:06 PM by 6fc82b33-dc68-46ba-97fd-6cf591177503 RSS

How to cancel creating online index - HELP - urgent

kozand Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello

I have create the two indexes with option "ONLINE". After this I have problems with connection to database (connection timeout) - after killing all sessions problem with connection gone. But in the end I have two tables SYS_JOURNAL_objectID which are growing up - I thjink this is way how the on-line indexes are creting.  How I can stop this proccess, without any problems?

Database:

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production

Tank You in advance!

• 1. Re: How to cancel creating online index - HELP - urgent
    sb92075 Guru

SQL> SHUTDOWN ABORT

• 2. Re: How to cancel creating online index - HELP - urgent
    EdStevens Guru

kozand wrote:

Hello

I have create the two indexes with option "ONLINE". After this I have problems with connection to database (connection timeout) - after killing all sessions problem with connection gone. But in the end I have two tables SYS_JOURNAL_objectID which are growing up - I thjink this is way how the on-line indexes are creting.  How I can stop this proccess, without any problems?

Database:

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production

Tank You in advance!

Patience, Grasshopper

This forum is not a chat line, and it is not paid support. 

No one is responsible for monitoring it and giving a quick response. 

Furthermore, it is a global forum.  The person with the information you seek may very well live 20 time zones away from you and was going to bed just as you posted. He will not even see your post for several more hours. 

Your original post went up in the middle of the night for half the world.

No one with the information you seek is deliberately withholding it until you sound sufficiently desperate.

Second, because of my first point, there is no "urgent" here. 

"Urgent" means one of two things -

1) people are dying, or

2) you have a customer-facing, revenue-producing production system that is down. 

(And to get some perspective on the second case, keep the first in mind.)

For the first, you call whatever civil emergency service seems appropriate. 

For the second, you open an SR with Oracle - which requires a paid-up support contract. For *them* to consider your problem "urgent", you will need to demonstrate that your problem falls under item #2. I seriously doubt your problem fits that criteria.

You don't have a support contract?  Now you know the exact dollar figure that your company places on the data. 

• 3. Re: How to cancel creating online index - HELP - urgent
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

Did you kill the session that was executing the CREATE INDEX ... ONLINE  ?

Hemant K Chitale

• 4. Re: How to cancel creating online index - HELP - urgent
    kozand Newbie

Yes,  I have killed all sessions.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points