This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2013 7:52 AM by rp0428 RSS

User account lock & expired

petra-K Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All

I am confused what is the difference of account lock & expired does it bring to the user/owner?

If I locked an account he/she can not login.

If I expire an account he/she can not also login.

So what is the difference?

Thanks,

petra k

• 1. Re: User account lock & expired
    Abufazal Journeyer

f55237a7-2c38-4db3-a7a3-1d77256f0730 wrote:

Hi All

I am confused what is the difference of account lock & expired does it bring to the user/owner?

Thanks,

petra k

When an account is locked the user can not login and the administrator has to unlock it. (Account gets locked due to failed login attempts)

When an account is expired, user again can not login. However, there is an option to reset the password. (Accounts get expired due to password life time)

Hope, this clarifies your doubts

• 2. Re: User account lock & expired
    rp0428 Guru

When you have a basic question the first thing to do is search the Oracle documentation to see if it has the info you need.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28337/tdpsg_user_accounts.htm

Expiring and Locking Database Accounts

Oracle Database 2 Day DBA explains how you can use Database Control to unlock database accounts. You also can use Database Control to expire or lock database accounts.

When you expire the password of a user, that password no longer exists. If you want to unexpire the password, you change the password of that account. Locking an account preserves the user password, as well as other account information, but makes the account unavailable to anyone who tries to log in to the database using that account. Unlocking it makes the account available again.

• 3. Re: User account lock & expired
    petra-K Expert

Thanks all,

My delimma is that we have lots of "unknown" users created in our PROD database. Some are from oracle tools and some are from our 3 party apps tools. The IT audit instruct us

to remove unused user accounts. But I do not know which users are not being used. If I lock it and no one is complaining does it mean it is not being used? Similarly if I password expire it?

Which one is better to use to check if the USERID is not used? Lock it or Expire it?

Gracias

• 4. Re: User account lock & expired
    Sundaram_K Newbie

Hi

You can’t come to a conclusion when no one is complaining if you lock/expire the user.

Objects owned by these user may be used by some other process, users ..etc

You may need to do a detailed study,

What are the objects owned by these users,

How they are used internally

You also need to check with 3 party app team

If you can come to a conclusion that there is no use/need of that user, then you can delete.

Thanks,

Sundaram

• 5. Re: User account lock & expired
    rp0428 Guru
    My delimma is that we have lots of "unknown" users created in our PROD database. Some are from oracle tools and some are from our 3 party apps tools. The IT audit instruct us

to remove unused user accounts. But I do not know which users are not being used. If I lock it and no one is complaining does it mean it is not being used? Similarly if I password expire it?

Which one is better to use to check if the USERID is not used? Lock it or Expire it?

You need to reread that doc quote I provided since it answers your question exactly. It tells you the difference between expiring and locking an account.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points