This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2013 3:34 PM by Gary Graham RSS

4.0EA3 Can not view Snippets

Aleksander Stopar Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi!

The View menu does not have the "Snippets" entry any more. I made sure that option in Tools -> Features -> Database -> Oracle SQL Developer - Snippet is checked, but the entry does not show in the View menu. I also tried to toggle the option off and back on  (and restarting SQL Developer after each change), but to no avail. I also tried to start with fresh set of preferences by deleting my ~/.sqldeveloper/system4.0.0.13.30 directory, however the snippets did no show up.

This issue is happening on Centos 6.4. 64bit with JDK 1.7.0_40.

Funny enough, at home on Debian 7 32bit with JDK 1.7.0_45, the View menu has the Snippets entry and it shows Snippets just fine!

The database connected to is 11.2.0.3 64bit.

Please, help me get my snippets back!

Alex

• 1. Re: 4.0EA3 Can not view Snippets
    Aleksander Stopar Newbie

An update:

Upgraded JDK to 1.7.0_45

Updated Centos from 6.4 to 6.5

Tried with plain new configuration; deleted everything from ~/.sqldeveloper prior starting up SQL Developer. Verified integrity of downloaded installation rpm file. Still no snippets. See atached picture.

http://i44.tinypic.com/au9xsh.png

Aleksander

• 2. Re: 4.0EA3 Can not view Snippets
    Gary Graham Expert

Hi Aleksander,

When disabling features using Tools -> Features -> Database, note that Snippets says Data Miner, OLAP, and Spatial depend on it.  While disabling / enabling combinations of those 3 in conjunction with Snippets, I noticed that enabling Snippets did not make it reappear in the View menu unless OLAP is also re-enabled -- a probable bug. 

Is OLAP disabled in your Centos environment?

Regards,

Gary

SQL Developer Team

• 3. Re: 4.0EA3 Can not view Snippets
    Aleksander Stopar Newbie

Hi Gary,

In  Tools -> Features -> Database I have only Snippets and Spatial nodes. I do not have Data Miner and OLAP nodes, see attached screenshot of enabled/available features:

http://tinypic.com/r/73phdj/5

The situation does not improve even if I start with new profile (delete ~/.sqldeveloper)

I really don't know what you mean by "Is OLAP enabled in your Centos environment" since CentOS is a binary compatible clone of RHEL. All the databases I connect to with SQLDev have OLAP and Data Mining options enabled.

Thanx for looking into this. SQLDev 4 is a huge step forward and so much better than 3.2 but I really miss my snippets.

Alex

• 4. Re: 4.0EA3 Can not view Snippets
    Gary Graham Expert

Alex,

In  Tools -> Features -> Database I have only Snippets and Spatial nodes. I do not have Data Miner and OLAP node

In my Windows 7 install of 4.0 EA3, Data Miner and Oracle OLAP nodes appear above the Change Management node.  Perhaps something went wrong during the actual install process.  In your ...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\extensions directory do you have folders and jars for oracle.dmt.dataminer and oracle.olap?  If you start SQL Developer from the command line (...\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\sqldeveloper), do any interesting messages appear in the console?

I really don't know what you mean by "Is OLAP enabled in your Centos environment"

Enabled in Tools -> Features -> Database.  But if you don't see a node for it there, that's a moot point.

Verified integrity of downloaded installation rpm file.

In releases prior to 4.0, if I had any install issues with the rpm I would just unzip the generic download zip under my scratch directory, but that is no longer provided and I haven't tried using the Windows zip on Oracle Linux. But perhaps that is something to try out.

-Gary

• 5. Re: 4.0EA3 Can not view Snippets
    Aleksander Stopar Newbie

Hi Gary,

Summary first: I've got my snippets back! It was a bad extract from the rpm installation file. Here are the gory details for those who like to be entertained.....

You've got me thinking, that something may be different between windows and linux versions. Since both are java, the windows version should run on linux, too - right? Here's what I did:

• downloaded the windows version
    • unzipped it in an empty directory
    • made sqldeveloper executable (chmod u+x sqldeveloper.sh)
    • added AddVMOption -Duser.home=/home/alex/tmp/sqldevwin to sqldeveloper.conf to force it to use a new profile
    • run sqldeveloper.sh (it started up just fine!)
    • created a connection to make it open a new worksheet
    • check the view menu - and snippets entry is there - and it displays the default snippets correctly
    • exited sqldeveloper
    • copied UserSnippets.xml from my linux profile to the new windows profile
    • started sqldeveloper again, checked the snippets, and my snippets are there, too!! Yay!

As far as I can see, there are two files missing in my linux install when I compare with what is found in extensions directory in my windows install:

• oracle.dmt.dataminer.jar
    • oracle.olap.jar

Then I disabled the following features and restarted SQL Developer, just to check the Gary's suspicious about a possible bug:

• miner
    • olap
    • change management
    • restfull services
    • spatial
    • times ten
    • unit test
    • xml schema
    • all database migrations
    • version control

After the restart, snippets are still correctly displayed!

So I checked if those files are missing in the downloaded linux rpm. When I opened the file with Archive Manager (File Roller 2.28.2), those 2 files were in there! I extracted the archive in an empty folder - the files are missing! Obviously, File Roller is messing things up (no shortage of space, no errors reported). Since I usually install this way, now I see why my installation got hosed. I extracted the installation files from the rpm with:

• rpm2cpio /home/alex/down/sqldeveloper-4.0.0.13.30-1.noarch.rpm | cpio -i -d

Check the files, they are where they're supposed to be. I guess I'll have to talk to developers of File Roller why this is happening.

Gary, thanx for your help and guidance!

Aleksander

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points