5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2013 4:55 AM by Mahir M. Quluzade RSS

Building my own RAC/Grid

Jimbo

Hi,

I am planning to build a RAC/Grid using a couple of linux servers - really just for experimentation and to get to know the technology. I am not really sure where to start.

Q1. What is the best note / install manual to be looking at ?

Q2. I was planning to use ASM - is this part of Grid Infrastructure or separate from it ?

Q3. What kind of shared storage will I need for the Cluster / Grid ? I am presuming some sort of NAS - any recommendation ?

any pointer greatly appreciated

Jim

• 1. Re: Building my own RAC/Grid
          Billy~Verreynne

There are Linux specific RAC installation guides. The documentation portal can be accessed via http://tahiti.oracle.com

Yes, ASM is part of Grid Infrastructure with 11g and later - and ASM is also used for handling OCR and Voting disks/files.

Shared storage? Look at Scsi Targets (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TGT_iSCSI_Target) - it works over Ethernet and Infiniband. And in VMs too (https://blogs.oracle.com/wim/entry/using_linux_iscsi_targets_with).

If you are doing this using real hardware, try to keep your I/O fabric layer private - i.e. separate network from your public network. And do not expect stellar I/O performance.

• 3. Re: Building my own RAC/Grid
            Mahir M. Quluzade

Hi,

I am planning to build a RAC/Grid using a couple of linux servers - really just for experimentation and to get to know the technology. I am not really sure where to start.

You must start read documentation, Installation GI, Installation RAC and Deployment guides.

Q1. What is the best note / install manual to be looking at ?

You can find many blog post about installation Oracle RAC. My suggestion is read from documentation library.

Q2. I was planning to use ASM - is this part of Grid Infrastructure or separate from it ?

Yes, if  you planning install 11g R2, then you must use Grdi Instastructure.

GI = ASM + Clusterware.

Q3. What kind of shared storage will I need for the Cluster / Grid ? I am presuming some sort of NAS - any recommendation ?

Yes, you need shared storage for RAC database. You can use NAS for shared storage.

My suggestion first install RAC on virtual machine. For shared storage, you can easy create sharable  disks for Virtual Machines (nodes)

Regards

Mahir M. Quluzade

• 4. Re: Building my own RAC/Grid
              Billy~Verreynne

MahirM.Quluzade wrote:

Yes, you need shared storage for RAC database. You can use NAS for shared storage.

My suggestion first install RAC on virtual machine. For shared storage, you can easy create sharable  disks for Virtual Machines (nodes)

I would still recommend setting up a separate VM as NAS storage server - as loosing I/O fabric connectivity is a very real world issue on RAC.

VirtualBox allows local VM only networks. I suggest configuring 2 such networks. One as the Interconnect and the other as I/O layer (connectivity to NAS).

This way one can simulate loosing I/O connectivity while still having a working Interconnect. And with 3 VMs (1xNAS and 2xRAC) one can simulate many of the common infrastructure failures with RAC.

• 5. Re: Building my own RAC/Grid
                Mahir M. Quluzade

Billy~Verreynne yes I agree, it is more like real configuration of RAC with  NAS.

Regards

Mahir M. Quluzade