1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 11, 2013 5:13 AM by budachst RSS

Oracle VM & storage virtualization

I'd like to propose a solution of virtualization based on OVM.

I understand OVM can achieve the HA of servers...

I'm now looking for an architecture to achieve HA of storage.

What hardware do I have ?

Basically 4 servers, wth local storage connected via FC.

2 of these servers will be dedicated to OVM

I need to achieve this storage HA with the 2 other ones.

I thought to implement Datacore... to virtualize the local storage on the 2 remaining servers. But I'm not sure If I can create OVM repository on Datacore managed storage. I can't find any doc about this over internet... except that it is not stated to be supported in the Datacore Compatibility matrix.

Has anyone experience on that ?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Oracle VM & storage virtualization

That depends on how sophisticated you want your storage to be. You can achieve basic HA storage by using NFS exports, that are backed by a HA setup. The pros are: easy to setup, likely easy to configure on the HA storage

The cons are: no thin-cloning of guests and disks (all copy operations take the real time to complete), more latencies with file access

If you want to go with a more powerful setup, you'd export iSCSI targets, or even FcOE targets, should your infrastructure provide those, and use MPIO to those targets. That would enable you to create OCFS2 repositories, which support spare files, reflinks (clones) and better latency.

I opted for the latter and went with iSCSI/MPIO. The targets are hosted on an ASM cluster, which is backed with btier-enabled storage.

Note, that Oracle treats the OVM servers as "appliances" and you will have to live with what the system comes with. Installing any 3rd party software on the OVM servers is not supported by Oracle, nor is it feasable, since you will likely run into a number compatibility issue, since OVM is based on a highly patched RHEL5.