I hope I will not interfere since you probably expect an answer from OTN staff, but perhaps you will find the response from moniquevdb-Oracle. in Re: Why is it still so hard to format CODE as CODE? interesting. I think that was the last time we had some response from the OTN staff.
Fwiw, I have not experienced any session interruptions during the last couple of weeks. However, there were many complains about posts not updating and stale message counters. Perhaps there was some maintenance last week because some people had 503 connectivity issues. More avatar icons and personal avatars were mentioned after the upgrade last June, but nothing happened so far.
Wondering if there is information you can share about planned changes to the forum.
1. I am experiencing session disruptions while working on answering questions (have to re-logon this). This is not dues to me putting in long breaks. is this something others come across as well? Personally (testing on FF and Safari) this starts to bug me
2. Avatar. Many of our customer in the JDev / ADF forum select an avatar from the existing list of icons. I just can't believe people want to look like a football. So wondering wen real avatar images can be used to improve a product community face recognition
3. Open three post before login, and then hitting reply on the first (which requires login) will refresh the question to the last one opened. Work around is to log-in, then navigate back to the origin question and then hit reply again.
These are only 3 issues I observe in my daily work on the forum. For JDeveloper and ADF however I observe a steep drop in the number of daily posts the since the introduction of the new forum software and I am a bit worried that 3rd forums like Stack Overflow (where we see our customers moving their questions to) is becoming more attractive. Any road-map to share?
Don't hold me to this as we moderators only have sparse information from the admin.
1. I haven't a clue abuot the stability issues. Sometimes the forum goes ok, sometimes it's having problems. As far as I know the admin are continually looking into such issues and trying to determine the causes and find solutions.
2. Custom avatars are likely to be included in an upgrade due around the end of January, though timescales are not fixed for the schedule of upgrades so that could be later (I doubt it would be earlier).
3. I've noticed that issue myself.... I just make sure I log in as the first thing I do. I think it's simply a redirection issue though how easy it is for Oracle or Jive to fix I don't know. Whether that's something that's fixed in the scheduled upgrades is something we'll have to wait and see.
Wasn't there supposed to be a maintenance patch in November? Was it applied, did it do anything? As far as this version of Jive concerns, version 5, I wonder if there can possibly be some real improvements because it is end of life next month according to Jive support website. So my guess is everyone is looking into Jive 7 and the silly game will simply continue. The community and its users are obviously not happy with the product. What OTN staff likes so much about Jive seems to be a mystery. Maybe it's the Jive World in Las Vegas and other fancy cosmopolitan events and fancy people, which other vendors probably do not. http://jiveworld.jivesoftware.com/
Yes, I believe there was supposed to be some patch or something in November, intended to help tackle spammers as far as I recall. We're still getting some spammers, so how well that's worked or whether it was actually implemented I can't say.
As for which versions of Jive or what the exact upgrades are going to be... I haven't a clue.