6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2013 8:11 AM by Mike Kutz RSS

Issues with Apex Listener Installation and configuration

Adaji

I have been trying to install and configure APEX Listener for use with Enterprise Edition of 11g. Each time I tried the installation, it hangs at the same step, as shown below:

INFO:  http://localhost:8080/apex started

The installation will not progress to completion and I will not be able to access APEX via a browser. Kindly assist.

• 1. Re: Issues with Apex Listener Installation and configuration
          Mike Kutz

Kindly provide more information.

It sounds like you are running in 'stand alone' mode.

If that is true, you didn't 'install' the listener.... you are actually running the listener in the foreground.

which app server (and version) are you using? (glassfish or ???)

which document did you follow? (provide URL)

which steps did you take?

which option settings did you choose to get the INFO line?

etc.

etc.

MK

PS - there is actually an APEX Listener forum.

• 2. Re: Issues with Apex Listener Installation and configuration
            Nicolas.Gasparotto

MikeKutz wrote:

PS - there is actually an APEX Listener forum.

This thread has been moved in that suggested forum.

Nicolas.

• 3. Re: Issues with Apex Listener Installation and configuration
              Adaji

Thanks a million, Mike. I am actually running in Stand Alone mode on my laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate OS). The instructional document I is Oracle Application Express Listener Installation And Configuration Guide Release 2.0. Document No. E25066-08. A part from the 11g DB installed on my system and the Database created, no further installation before the APEX and APEX Listener configuration. See below.

Thanks.

C:\Users\Duke>cd C:\Apex_listener

C:\Apex_Listener>java -jar apex.war

This Listener instance has not yet been configured.

Please complete the following prompts

Enter the location to store configuration data:C:\Apex_Listener

Dec 19, 2013 1:59:03 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.cmds.ConfigDir execute

INFO: Set config.dir to C:\Apex_Listener in: C:\Apex_Listener\apex.war

Dec 19, 2013 1:59:13 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.file.ConfigurationFolder logConfigFolder

INFO: Using configuration folder: C:\Apex_Listener\apex

Enter the name of the database server [localhost]:Duke-PC

Enter the database listen port [1521]:

Enter 1 to specify the database service name, or 2 to specify the database SID [1]:1

Enter the database service name:Gemini

Enter the database user name [APEX_PUBLIC_USER]:

Enter the database password for APEX_PUBLIC_USER:

Confirm password:

Enter 1 to enter passwords for the RESTful Services database users (APEX_LISTENER,APEX_REST_PUBLIC_USER), 2 to use the s

ame password as used for APEX_PUBLIC_USER or, 3 to skip this step [1]:3

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:04 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.file.ConfigurationFiles update

INFO: Updated configurations: defaults, apex

Enter 1 if you wish to start in standalone mode or 2 to exit [1]:1

Enter the APEX static resources location or Enter to skip:

Enter the HTTP port [8080]:

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:20 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Standalone execute

INFO: NOTE:

Standalone mode is designed for use in development and test environments. It is not supported for use in production envi

ronments.

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:20 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Standalone execute

INFO: Starting standalone Web Container in:  C:\Apex_Listener\apex

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:20 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Deployer deploy

INFO: Will deploy application path = C:\Apex_Listener\apex\apex\WEB-INF\web.xml

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:22 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Deployer deploy

INFO: Deployed application path = C:\Apex_Listener\apex\apex\WEB-INF\web.xml

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:23 PM oracle.dbtools.common.config.file.ConfigurationFolder logConfigFolder

INFO: Using configuration folder: C:\Apex_Listener\apex

Default Database connection not configured properly

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:30 PM oracle.dbtools.rt.web.SCListener contextInitialized

INFO: Oracle Application Express Listener initialized

Application Express Listener version : 2.0.5.287.04.27

Application Express Listener server info: Grizzly/1.9.49

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:30 PM com.sun.grizzly.Controller logVersion

INFO: GRIZZLY0001: Starting Grizzly Framework 1.9.49 - 19/12/13 14:00

Dec 19, 2013 2:00:30 PM oracle.dbtools.standalone.Standalone execute

INFO: http://localhost:8080/apex started.

• 4. Re: Issues with Apex Listener Installation and configuration
                Mike Kutz

The Listener is a java web application and, therefore, needs to be "installed" in a java web server (eg GlassFish) in order to run.

This is true for all files with the .war extension.

However, this particular .war file, the Listener, includes its own, light weight web server that can be used for quick testing purpose.

What you have done was:

• configured the .war file to read a particular configuration folder (C:\Apex_Listener)
                • setup minimal configurations (eg DB access including APEX_PUBLIC_USER name/password)
                • start the internal webserver (ie Standalone Mode)
                • which runs the Listener (a java web application)

Basically, at this point in time, you are running the Listener (in the foreground).

You should be able to use APEX by opening up a web browser (on the same laptop) and go to the URL at the end:

http://localhost:8080/apex

(as long as that command window is up and running)

If you have problems here (usually, images aren't shown), post back up.

If you want the Listener to automatically start on boot and run in the background (like a Windows Service), you need to "install" it into a java web server.

Oracle support GlassFish, but I've seen people use TomCat.

(with tomcat, you just need to 'deploy' the exact war file you just configured)

MK

• 5. Re: Issues with Apex Listener Installation and configuration
                  Adaji

That was quite comprehensive, Mike. Thanks so much. I still have problem using APEX via web browser, even when the installation command window is still open. I do not know what else to do.

I will also appreciate a comprehensive instruction on how to install APEX Listener into GlassFish.

Thanks.

Adaji

• 6. Re: Issues with Apex Listener Installation and configuration
                    Mike Kutz

I still have problem using APEX via web browser,

We need a lot of information regarding the problem.  What you have stated is about as useful as "my car won't start".

Start with .. what do you see in the Web Browser (and "which browser/version are you using?")

As far as installing APEX Listener into GlassFish, that should be in the Installation manual.

I haven't done GlassFish.  You'd be better off trying Google, first.

MK