1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2013 3:31 AM by Billy~Verreynne RSS

Faking OTN forums

Billy~Verreynne

Ran across the following and went WTF? for a moment, before realising it is not OTN.

Thread: eNextmotors Transactions | enextmotors-transactions.com - for classified sites, is this legitimate or a scam?

• 1. Re: Faking OTN forums
          BluShadow

That's appalling.  Not only are they misrepresenting Oracle, they are using a known trademark and masquerading as a known commercial entity in order to spam their own goods, and in with that they are also misrepresenting all the members of the forum by using their names in the process.

Oracle should be seeking serious legal action and damages against whoever has created that site.

• 2. Re: Faking OTN forums

If you try to navigate anywhere away from that supposed thread, you're directed back to legitimate places on the OTN.

site.

When I took the page's URL and stripped it back to just the domain (theoracle-forum dot com), I was also redirected back to OTN.

It took me a bit of fumbling with Google to attempt a WhoIs search, but probably...

The Oracle Forum 

Theoracle-forum

theoracle-forum.com

Technical Data

Page Rank :   

IP : 37.140.192.47

IP-based Geolocation of Theoracle-forum.com : http://wa-com.com/img/flags-iso/shiny/16/RU.png Russian Federation    

IP-based Coordinate : latitude : 60 | longitude : 100

• 3. Re: Faking OTN forums
              Catch-22

If you check the page source it has the following footer:

Mirrored from forums.oracle.com/thread/2590233?start=0&tstart=0 by HTTrack Website Copier/3.x [XR&CO'2010], Fri, 25 Oct 2013 17:47:09 GMT

• 4. Re: Faking OTN forums
                Catch-22

What is indeed worrying though is that the responses made are probably fake too. I do not remember having made any response to that discussion thread, and I cannot imagine to make any comments about Playpal or any other payment system being legitimate or not. Also the moderators would have most likely removed this thread because its nothing to do with Oracle.

• 5. Re: Faking OTN forums
                  Hoek

Besides that, the number of likes for all the replies are...errm, not very realistic...

That site should be taken down and the people behind it should be legally prosecuted asap...I hope Oracle's lawyers are at it.

Well spotted, Billy!

• 6. Re: Faking OTN forums
                    BluShadow

Exactly, they've just copied a thread for the layout and inserted their own question/answers to promote their website/product.

But that layout includes real users of the oracle forums, and as already pointed out if someone were to click on those users, they'd be brought to the real Oracle forums and see real active users, so potentially believe that what they had read on the fake site was real.

• 7. Re: Faking OTN forums
                      Billy~Verreynne

Well, hopefully when someone stumble across that fake page, they hopefully will not base a purchase decision on what posters seem to say on a single page.

Unless this fake page is just one of many sites being faked in order to make one believe that using "enext-whatever" is a safe site for money transactions.

No surprises that it is in Russia either.... That part of the world is riddled with Internet scam organisations.

• 8. Re: Faking OTN forums
                        Billy~Verreynne

Had a look on google - many legit web sites are being faked this way.

Disgusting...

• 9. Re: Faking OTN forums
                          BluShadow

Hey, I'd buy into it... I mean look how many times all the replies have been liked.... though of course you can't see who's liked them as you need to be logged in... which you can't do on their site. 

• 10. Re: Faking OTN forums
                            EdStevens

BluShadow wrote:

Exactly, they've just copied a thread for the layout and inserted their own question/answers to promote their website/product.

But that layout includes real users of the oracle forums, and as already pointed out if someone were to click on those users, they'd be brought to the real Oracle forums and see real active users, so potentially believe that what they had read on the fake site was real.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone been able to identify the 'source' thread?  Looks like from this forum on Aug 6.

I'm sure that everyone else whose name was fraudulently used is as outraged as I am.  I'd hope that Oracle's legal department is on this (would be nice to get at least an acknowledgement of same), but considering the location of the domain, I doubt that any thing can actually be done.

• 11. Re: Faking OTN forums
                              Hoek

Source thread ( One more bug ) is from october.

• 12. Re: Faking OTN forums
                                BluShadow

Yeah, it's odd....

dude identified the source code shows the source as being forums.oracle.com/thread/2590233 (which is that One more bug thread) but that thread doesn't correlate with what's been copied.

• 13. Re: Faking OTN forums
                                  BluShadow
                                  • 14. Re: Faking OTN forums
                                    Hoek

Nice catch, Blu! How did you find that out?

Never mind, it's in the source as well, I noticed...

Message was edited by: Hoek

1 2 Previous Next