13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 20, 2013 8:48 AM by jgarry RSS

64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver

user6746703 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Would anyone have any guidelines on how to get this to work? I have seen lots of discussions from people looking for drivers but no solutions.

Can anyone help? I want to connect to RDB 8.1 from Windows 2008 R2 64-bit.

Thank

• 1. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    rp0428 Guru

See the JDBC FAQ 'Which JDBC drivers support which versions of Oracle Database?

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/enterprise-edition/jdbc-faq-090281.html#02_02

• JDBC 10.2.0 drivers can talk to RDBMS

If you have a JDBC issue or problem you should post it in the JDBC forum

https://forums.oracle.com/community/developer/english/java/database_connectivity/java_database_connectivity_(jdbc)

• 2. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    EdStevens Guru

user6746703 wrote:

Would anyone have any guidelines on how to get this to work? I have seen lots of discussions from people looking for drivers but no solutions.

Thank

I realize that Rdb was purchased from DEC by Oracle nearly 20 years ago, and that this is an Oracle forum, but this forum is specifically for the Oracle database.

That said, I just went looking for the appropriate forum and don't see an Rdb-specific one, so perhaps "the collective" here might help out in a pinch.  But for that to happen, you'd have to describe what you've done and what errors you are getting.  "No solutions" doesn't have an entry in any error message manual I've seen.

• 3. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    EdStevens Guru

user6746703 wrote:

Thank

Could it be that your problems stem from trying to connect to a non-existent version of Rdb?  You say 8.1, but at Oracle's site, I don't find anything newer than 7.3  (Oracle Rdb Software Download Index)

• 4. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    jgarry Guru

Or maybe he really meant oracle rdbms 8.1

• 5. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    EdStevens Guru

jgarry wrote:

Or maybe he really meant oracle rdbms 8.1

I guess we'll have to await clarification from the OP ... for exact product, version, and errors.

Until then,  "Only 'da Shadow Knows"

• 6. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    user6746703 Newbie

Thanks for the reply rp0428.

• 7. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    EdStevens Guru

user6746703 wrote:

Thanks for the reply rp0428.

Does this mean we should not expect a clarification?

Nor a closing of the thread by marking it "answered"?

• 8. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    rp0428 Guru

Beats me! OP took the time to respond to their thread but didn't even address the RDB vs. Oracle DB issue you raised.

• 9. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    EdStevens Guru

rp0428 wrote:

Beats me! OP took the time to respond to their thread but didn't even address the RDB vs. Oracle DB issue you raised.

Didn't respond to anything, except to thank you for the link ... implying that the link provided the info needed to fix his problem (and by extension, perhaps, implying that he didn't really mean Rdb)  .... whatever his problem was ....

Oh well, since no one ever searches these forums for solutions prior to asking a question, the lack of real information probably doesn't matter.

• 10. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    rp0428 Guru

I've given up actually trying to understand such things.

• 11. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    user6746703 Newbie

EdStevens, I didn't reply to you as I felt your answers were abit insulting. Not everyone has as much knowledge on Oracle and its products as you which is why a lot of these forums exist. I am surprised anyone asks for help if that is the standard of replies received.

To clarify - Our version of RDB is 7.2-200 and the oracle odbc drivers I use on the 32-bit server are 8.1.

By "No Solutions" I meant that there are various posts on many forums about drivers for 64-bit servers going back many years but I haven't come across any posts and successfully solve the issue.

• 12. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    EdStevens Guru

user6746703 wrote:

EdStevens, I didn't reply to you as I felt your answers were abit insulting. Not everyone has as much knowledge on Oracle and its products as you which is why a lot of these forums exist. I am surprised anyone asks for help if that is the standard of replies received.

To clarify - Our version of RDB is 7.2-200 and the oracle odbc drivers I use on the 32-bit server are 8.1.

By "No Solutions" I meant that there are various posts on many forums about drivers for 64-bit servers going back many years but I haven't come across any posts and successfully solve the issue.

By 'insulting' you mean my trying to get a clarification on exactly what product you were referring to, since the one you mention does not exist?  How would you expect to get clear advice when it is far from clear exactly what product you were referring to?

By 'insulting' you mean my pointing out that depending on the exact product you were referring to, you might be better served in a different forum?  Would you consider it insulting if you went into a hardware store and asked for some broccoli, that the clerk pointed out you might be better served in a grocery store?

BTW, you still haven't actually described the actual problem you are trying to solve, so that anyone can actually provide useful help.  Until you do that, all we can do is point out that you have provided insufficient, mis-leading, and/or mis-placed information.  If you consider that insulting, then you are entitled to your opinion but it doesn't solve your problem..

• 13. Re: 64 bit Oracle RDB ODBC Driver
    jgarry Guru

I'm really curious what has set your expectations the way they are.  Most fora I've seen are either much more rude, or moderated to the point of barely being useful (or in some cases, outright wrong).  People come here from all over the world, so some tolerance is required.

I suggest you see How To Ask Questions The Smart Way and Re: 2. How do I ask a question on the forums?

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points