1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next 111 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2014 10:33 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 45. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
        Dude!

I would not necessarily set the threshold to fair vs unfair, but unfair vs. acceptable. You cannot buy anything for the points and you cannot distribute them and therefore I think your analogy with real money does not apply.

I would rather leave it up to everyone personally what value they see in the point system or what motivates them to participate in the forum. Whatever suits, so to speak. There is no reason to belittle those who see any value in the point system, not in the environment most people live in or are accustomed to. You may question the way the system works, and everybody will have some idea, but keep in mind that Oracle is a business.

• 46. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
          Dude!

And by the way, I'm probably neither a democrat or republican, and if anything I might rather be a social democrat due to the education I received. For what its worth its probably all more or less the same anyway and just gives us the impression of having a choice. However, I reject some of your ideas how the forum should work because I think it is personally biased towards supporting only a certain "elite."

• 47. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
            Dude!

Varun-Oracle wrote:

Points are not broken. Users will get 1 point for every post they make. Thats why points are not multiple of 5 or 10

That seems to be the case, technically speaking, but will the current course be corrected?

• 48. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
              Timo Hahn

My two cents:

Changing the ground rules of the point system again does not make the whole system better. I don't follow that a poster has to be rewarded for just posting. Now we are back to the point chasers. Now you get get guru status by posting to the Community Feedback forum!

Not sure which expertise this gives you in the PL/SQL forum  or any other. Well, I'm not that interested in the point system, but your discussion made me look into it again.

My personal feeling is that the number of posts have decreased since the change to the new forum software. This all has been discussed. As of the last update which brought back the point per post rule, I see an increase in traffic. However, some (>50%) of the traffic is of the type 'I post because I get a point for it, regardless if it's helpful or not'.

Next thing is that as long as we can't see the number of post (in all spaces and in each particularly forum) the number of points in meaningless (to me). I would like to see the number of posts in the forum and the number of points gathered through helpful or correct answers.

Timo

• 49. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                Dude!

Until someone from Oracle replies we won't know what the idea is behind the new point awards. So hopefully it is just a mistake that will be corrected after the holidays, or it was done on purpose to fix the usage statistics. The later however requires a certain bad level of competence.

I also think the way how points and number of posts where shown prior to the June upgrade was more useful. Unfortunately it seems the change is due to the way how Jive has transmuted and I personally doubt we will ever see the good old days come back. Experience is just a show stopper, if you know what I mean. However, I will probably rather leave before I loose my respect about the people who pull the strings here.

• 50. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                  Aman....

Billy,

But isn't this the same thing which few years ago was the number of posts one had in their profile? I remember a forum member having some 4500(may be the number is wrong) posts shown in his profile. And all of them were questions! There was a quest to increase the post count and that's why many used to post just a single sentence as a reply. This whole ranking system, if it really has to be, should have negative marking too. So if one really has to earn a rank, he/she must give the right, most useful answers.

I guess I should stop my rant since point system is here to stay and rather than worrying about it, I should concentrate on something that's in my control- to learn more about oracle database.

Regards

Aman....

• 51. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                    Subramanian Meyyappan

Hi, Dude,

Until someone from Oracle replies we won't know what the idea is behind the new point awards. So hopefully it is just a mistake that will be corrected after the holidays, or it was done on purpose to fix the usage statistics. The later however requires a certain bad level of competence.

yeah you 're right man me too.

I personally doubt we will ever see the good old days come back.

yes. I'm also I'll support old forum. however i can't jump to past. so I'm trying to adopt this new software.

say as. Now i'm employee of -x- concern. i can't jump into school. start studying.. something like that. Oracle wont with back with old good features

say as eg.no.of.post made by user

Experience is just a show stopper, if you know what I mean.

I dont get you what you are trying to say.

However, I will probably rather leave before I loose my respect about the people who pull the strings here.

No man. no you should n't. I don't have much experience to tell this to you. Anyhow from this statement, from my understanding I'm saying this from my dictionary.

no one can replace by anyone. each and everyone has own eyes,legs,... own experience. by the way nature is created.

"No one pull you from your throne(the chair of state for a monarch, bishop, etc.). "

rule1:

if someone trying to do that so.try to defeat conquer to place as like of 'K'ing. 

bottom line is we have to run if we want victory. no stop.

rule2:

if someone trying to do that so. just ignore. say it just a chair. say i did't born on that chair. after long struggle i got chair if i defeated/if get old i have to leave the chair.

bottom line is nothing constant in this world we can't/won't take anything from this world...

I'll follow the rule1 now. when i reached old age i'll follow the rule2.

forget to tell one thing i read this statement from one book this happen to me also.

hey man keep this thing while some one hurts you."No one will throw stone on fruitless tree"

if i mentioned anything wrong me here. please forgive me.

Thanks.

• 52. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                      Brianw-Oracle

There is nothing to correct, we made this change due to upcoming plans for future communities coming in.  This is really only temporary as we have a new system in place, non points based that will be used.  You will have something brand new to complain about then

• 53. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                        Brianw-Oracle

Users are alerted that their posts are awaiting moderation

• 54. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                          Brianw-Oracle

There is nothing wrong or broken with the points system, the change we made was not publicized for a reason.  Whether we let you all know or not, there will be people who feel strongly one way or the other.  This was done in anticipation of further upcoming changes and integrations into the community.  It's only temporary and will be replace with something brand new that will be debated I'm sure

• 55. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                            Subramanian Meyyappan

Hi Timo,

My personal feeling is that the number of posts have decreased since the change to the new forum software.

yeah right. when i'm a new bie you helped me a lot.

As like of you i saw most of the people whoever helped me.but now i can't see here now after upgrade.

these may be the reason:

1. Those persons may be busy with projects.

2. 'may be' not likely much new software upgrade.

As of the last update which brought back the point per post rule, "I see an increase in traffic. However, some (>50%) of the traffic is of the type 'I post because I get a point for it, regardless if it's helpful or not'."

most painful inside the double quote. Oracle is BiG concern doing Big Business. that's good.

but for making business strategy oracle should not do this on otn forum. i'm worried .  

oracle technology network forum is not business area. we cant trade or bargain anything.

OTN forum is a best place people can learn every thing without pay anything.

Knowledge Transfer wont be business ever. Education is a matter each and every know to everyone what should do what shouldn't.

Experts should say what should do playground, and what should classroom for their young little charms.

I have question .?

consider this is a situation one little children(new bie in this otn forum) middle of the road means? if i help I'll get point. so i should help. this is not way of helping.

way of helping don't expect anything.

like this 5 people think means if 5 people catch one children all people try to pull one direction in middle of the road means what will happen finally child will cry.

Anyhow 5 of them will get point n happy. seems to race club.

from my understanding what Dude saying is point system is to differentiate people who is real experts. there is difference between driver seat and passenger seat.

simple Experts should be "recognized" in right way.

Thanks,

• 56. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                              jgarry

Brian W-Oracle wrote:

Users are alerted that their posts are awaiting moderation

And you know this isn't going into their spam folder how?

• 57. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                                Dude!

Brian W-Oracle wrote:

There is nothing to correct, we made this change due to upcoming plans for future communities coming in.  This is really only temporary as we have a new system in place, non points based that will be used.  You will have something brand new to complain about then

Hurrah, no more points!

I guess this finally puts an end to the never ending and tiring discussions between those who are protecting their status quo and those newcomers who are egger to join the club. And it will hopefully put an end to the discussions between those who wish to missionize others and those who believe there is no free lunch.

It amazes me however how much effort it takes to pull out any kind of information from you guys. You certainly leave no doubt who is king of the hill here. And just for the record, I can really think of better hobbies than to complain about something. Sorry for being such a pesky pimple, but please provide a usable system.

Let's hope the new system will provide something worthwhile for everyone to enjoy and that it will not be a slap in the face to those who have been contributing and supporting the current system so far, again and again.

• 58. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                                  jgarry

Dude! wrote:

Also, if you look very close, check the overview page of this forum, you will see a recent post from:

sdureja-oracle

That's -oracle and not _oracle  like in

So who is for real?

Two things I've seen go wrong with this, not that Oracle would ever misconfigure mail:

1.  I added an email user to my isp, considering myself lucky to get a very desirable word, let's call it abcd.  All of a sudden I started getting mail addressed to abcd-jane.  It took quite a bit of convincing towards my ISP that they were sending me other people's mail, including utility and phone account information.  Seems their forwarding would remove the dash and beyond, if the part before the dash existed (or some sendmail thing like that).

2.  One particular message board I signed up with the blog name as my email name at my domain, and I started getting the approval and control requests for that person's blog.  Fortunately I knew the fellow both online and from symposia, and we had a good laugh about it.

And of course, I still get confused myself on email accounts I created in the days where one ISP allowed dashes and not underscores, and another was the converse.

• 59. Re: Some changes to forums and a general update
                                    Aman....

+ 1 to all what you said Dude!!

Regards

Aman....

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next