5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2014 10:11 AM by VladimirDyuzhev RSS

LDAP Transport for OSB Business Service

950861 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi All    

We have a requirement to connect to  LDAP Server for querying the business information(please note that it is not security related information) using LDAP Protocal.

But OOTB OSB Doesn't support ldap protocal.

Please suggest good implementation for this. we are considering using java callout or custom transport. which one should be better approach. can custom transport implemented for ldap.

Please suggest.

thanks

pr

• 1. Re: LDAP Transport for OSB Business Service
    991448 Journeyer

You use java callout to connect to LDAP. Refer this thread https://community.oracle.com/thread/2611241

• 2. Re: LDAP Transport for OSB Business Service
    950861 Newbie

Thanks for the response.

i refered the above link. It seems they connected to Internal Oracle LDAP. My scenario is to connect external OpenLDAP. It is just to get the customer usage policy data. it is just link calling an external web service but in our case we need to call through ldap protocal.

This LDAP is nothing to do with user/group management. all user groups are managed in Internal Oracl LDAP i think. we never manually update or add this programatically.

• 3. Re: LDAP Transport for OSB Business Service
    991448 Journeyer

you can still use java callout to connect to open ldap. Or even expose the operations of ldap as a webservice and consume it in OSB.

• 4. Re: LDAP Transport for OSB Business Service
    950861 Newbie

Thanks.

Yes, we always can create a webservice and call it. but due to some internal issue client doesn't want to go with this approach.

About using java callout - here my main consern is, if i use java callout. i need to instantiate the java call in a POJO to make a connection and call Search operation on LDAP.

But Oracle Strongly discourages this approach.i am not sure why it is a proble. can you please let me know if you know why oracle discourages this approach.

thanks

pr

• 5. Re: LDAP Transport for OSB Business Service
    VladimirDyuzhev Explorer

950861 wrote:

But Oracle Strongly discourages this approach.i am not sure why it is a proble. can you please let me know if you know why oracle discourages this approach.

Oracle discourages to use Java callouts when the job can be done with standard OSB building blocks, which in turn allows OSB/WLS to manage the resources (threads, db connections etc) better. Security is also cannot be centrally managed by OSB for java callout.

When though the job cannot be done (there is no transport) you have two choices:

1. Do a java callout.

Providing you clean up after yourself nicely (close connections, do not leave static Maps etc) and take care of error handling (connection T/O, read T/O, faults), you should be OK.

Hint: you'll have to customize the URL, read timeouts and other values. Place them into a separate XQ and call it right before calling java, passing the result of that XQ to the callout. This way the operations team could update the URL etc from the console.

2. Create a custom transport.

For my current client we did exactly that. Unfortunately, the code is the property of the client and cannot be shared.

Generally this is a superior approach. It allows OSB to manage the resources, and it is also more flexible. But it is also a way more complicated and error-prone way.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points