1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 7:07 PM by jgarry

    Performance Monitoring Dashboard

    Krishna

      Dear All,

       

      Greetings !

       

      So far I have been monitoring the database health and performance with the help of scripts as and when essential(daily/weekly monitoring) and required. Since few days I am thinking of having the dashboard in place that can present the information in statistics numbers as well as graphs. I also had discussion over the same with our development team to design such dashboard. To move ahead with the same, I would like experts opinion on:

       

      1. What will be the suitable language to design and code the dashboard ?

      2. Since I am talking about the fetching the information from database on periodic basis (Trends), will it incur the additional burden on database performance ?

      3. What shall be the appropriate way to fetch the information with out putting additional burden ?

      4. Currently I am have monitoring scripts that accommodate the need of required information, will it suitable to integrate those script in a functions and execute those as to fetch information ?

       

      I am aware that there are various tools are already available in market but I would like to give a try myself to server the purpose. I would also wish to have your ideas and opinion on the same.

       

      Thanks and Best Regards,

      Krishna

        • 2. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
          Aman....

          As Sb mentioned, you should give a try to the latest 12c Cloud Control which would do the tasks that you have mentioned and a lot more!

           

          HTH

          Aman....

          • 3. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
            Krishna

            Yes, actually i am aware of the present solutions available and am not denying the fact that they will surely help me get the information i need but also more than that. In this context i am thinking from the perspective of database services (Remote DBA) providers who monitor more than 1 database. Say I am service provider and I have to monitor 10 database, in this case If I have a dashboard that at one glance will provide me the details of database health and alerts at various level. It would surely save my time.

             

            Regards,

            Krishna

            • 4. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
              sb92075

              Krishna wrote:

               

              Yes, actually i am aware of the present solutions available and am not denying the fact that they will surely help me get the information i need but also more than that. In this context i am thinking from the perspective of database services (Remote DBA) providers who monitor more than 1 database. Say I am service provider and I have to monitor 10 database, in this case If I have a dashboard that at one glance will provide me the details of database health and alerts at various level. It would surely save my time.

               

              Regards,

              Krishna

              Is what the dashboard monitors independent of the OS upon which the DB is running?

              Which metrics must or should be displayed to assure the viewer all is well with the DB being monitored?

              • 5. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard

                So do you want to re-invent Grid Control, a product provided by Oracle?

                Where do you get the financial resources from?
                Why do you want to re-invent, alone, something on which Oracle had no doubt a complete team?

                 

                -------------

                Sybrand Bakker

                Senior Oracle DBA

                • 6. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
                  Krishna

                  Is what the dashboard monitors independent of the OS upon which the DB is running?

                  Yes, dashboard be the central system that monitors the databases installed on any operating system platforms.

                   


                  Which metrics must or should be displayed to assure the viewer all is well with the DB being monitored?

                  I had thought of displaying the CPU Consumptions(Sessions and Users), Disk IOPS(Physical and Logical), Memory Parameters(Buffer CH Ration, Dictionary CH Ratio) and File System Information (Datafiles and Tablespace space utilization).

                   

                  Each of the area mentioned about will have any customizable threshold value, beyond which alert in form of SMS or Email must be sent. So far this are the ideas I have, and some question i had as original post.

                   

                  Regards,

                  Krishna

                  • 7. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard

                    All of that is already in Oracle produced software which *comes with the RDBMS*

                     

                    Before you start re-inventing the wheel please read the documentation on database control, grid control, or whatever it is called in your unknown version of Oracle.

                     

                     

                    ----------

                    Sybrand Bakker

                    Senior Oracle DBA

                    • 8. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
                      Aman....

                      Krishna wrote:

                       

                      Is what the dashboard monitors independent of the OS upon which the DB is running?

                      Yes, dashboard be the central system that monitors the databases installed on any operating system platforms.

                       


                      Which metrics must or should be displayed to assure the viewer all is well with the DB being monitored?

                      I had thought of displaying the CPU Consumptions(Sessions and Users), Disk IOPS(Physical and Logical), Memory Parameters(Buffer CH Ration, Dictionary CH Ratio) and File System Information (Datafiles and Tablespace space utilization).

                       

                      Each of the area mentioned about will have any customizable threshold value, beyond which alert in form of SMS or Email must be sent. So far this are the ideas I have, and some question i had as original post.

                       

                      Regards,

                      Krishna

                      What you are willing to develop is exactly called "reinventing the wheel" . Did you even try to use the Cloud Control ?

                       

                      Aman....

                      • 9. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
                        TSharma-Oracle

                        Do you really h ave this much free time? If yes, you are lucky.

                        • 10. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
                          Aman....

                          At times, I have seen many having this misconception that their own solution would be far cheaper and better than what a vendor would provide. Unfortunately, almost all the times, the realization of being awfully wrong comes very late.

                           

                          Aman....

                          • 11. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
                            TSharma-Oracle

                            Aman.... wrote:

                             

                            At times, I have seen many having this misconception that their own solution would be far cheaper and better than what a vendor would provide. Unfortunately, almost all the times, the realization of being awfully wrong comes very late.

                             

                            Aman....

                            I would agree if they are really customizing the product to satisfy their own needs and by doing that they are saving time and money. And you are right lots of time people have misconception because they do not convert soft cost(resource's hours) into the hard cost.

                            • 12. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
                              jgarry

                              Krishna wrote:

                              Memory Parameters(Buffer CH Ration, Dictionary CH Ratio)

                               

                              What are these ratios, and why do you think they are informative?

                              • 13. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
                                Krishna

                                Dear All,

                                 

                                I already mentioned that i am aware of the features provided by oracle and i am not challenging the those features, or not trying to "Re-Invent the Wheel", I am just giving a try if I can place the things in dashboard as per my requirements, so that i can save my time.

                                 

                                The Thread has reached at point where the question asked by me have disappeared and we all have started debating on the other, very unproductive stuff. I apologies if Oracle or other members are disheartened by the step that we as team of 5 DBA's have taken forward to try out something new.

                                 

                                Thank you all for your valuable time for commenting and your suggestions.

                                 

                                Regards,

                                Krishna

                                • 14. Re: Performance Monitoring Dashboard
                                  EdStevens

                                  Krishna wrote:

                                   

                                  Dear All,

                                   

                                  I already mentioned that i am aware of the features provided by oracle and i am not challenging the those features, or not trying to "Re-Invent the Wheel", I am just giving a try if I can place the things in dashboard as per my requirements, so that i can save my time.

                                   

                                  The Thread has reached at point where the question asked by me have disappeared and we all have started debating on the other, very unproductive stuff. I apologies if Oracle or other members are disheartened by the step that we as team of 5 DBA's have taken forward to try out something new.

                                   

                                  Thank you all for your valuable time for commenting and your suggestions.

                                   

                                  Regards,

                                  Krishna

                                  i am not . . .  trying to "Re-Invent the Wheel"

                                  So you say, but so far we've seen nothing that isn't already built in to OEM.

                                   

                                  so that i can save my time

                                  If you really want to save time, you'd use the features already available in OEM.  So far you have failed to show why that is not a viable option, or how OEM does not meet your needs.

                                   

                                  we all have started debating on the other, very unproductive stuff

                                  No, those were attempts to try to understand why you want to re-invent OEM, and/or attempts to get you to realize that some of the specific metrics you were asking about are meaningless.

                                   

                                  If you really want to re-invent OEM, knock yourself out.  But given the nature of the specific questions you've asked (What language to use; will it impose burden on the DB; what is meaning of BCHR; etc etc) I'd say you are grossly under-estimating the effort involved in producing a meaningful product.  The top people on this forum are more interested in helping you find the best way of doing your job.  That may not be the way in which you envision it.  An in this case it very definitely is not the way in which you envision it.

                                  1 2 Previous Next