1 2 3 Previous Next 35 Replies Latest reply: Dec 31, 2013 1:21 AM by Nikolay Manchev Go to original post RSS
      • 30. Re: Problem with OVM Server 3.2.6 - xend not running
        user11979830

I restored network-scripts and networks are ok now. I  did present/unpresent and refresh repository. Everything looks like ok.

But network for my server pool was not recovered (not on ifconfig list, there was bond0:0 before), so I wasn't able to assign my new vm server to my old server pool.

Then I had to create new server pool and discover new vm server to new server pool (then bond0:0 exists). But virtual machines on this vm server still stayed on old server pool (I saw this in VM Manager). The solution is import templete and create new virtual machine.

My question is, it's possible to recreate network for server pool (ip adress), if it isn't on vm server? For me, "bond0:0" with ip 192.168.1.115.

Because I think, it's the main reason of this.

Or can I set relationship among server pool and virtual machine?

Or I'm wrong and there is another solution?

Thanks

• 31. Re: Problem with OVM Server 3.2.6 - xend not running
          PoorFrodo

The bond0:0 is the interface where where the server pool VIP is assigned - Oracle VM automatically reassigns the VIP to another server in the pool if the one it is currently running on is not accessible from the network

-Greg

• 32. Re: Problem with OVM Server 3.2.6 - xend not running
            user11979830

How can I assign a vm server to a server pool, if there is not VIP on the reinstalled vm server?

I edited the old server pool in vm manager and assigned the reinstalled vm server, but adding server was aborted (bond0:0 wasn't on the vm server). When I created a new server pool, adding server was completed (bond0:0 was then automatically created on the vm server).

It's why I asked how to recreate VIP bond0:0 on the reinstalled vm server (and then add server to the pool).

JH

• 33. Re: Problem with OVM Server 3.2.6 - xend not running
              PoorFrodo

First, let me explain the VIP and the function of the VIP...

There is only one VIP per server pool.  The VIP is always assigned to bond0:0 of the "server pool master".  The server pool master is responsible for all communication between the servers in the pool and the Oracle VM Manager.  So, there is only one VIP per pool and only one of the servers that already belong to the pool will have a VIP.

The VIP is initially assigned by the Oracle VM Manager when you create a server pool.  Once the server pool is created, then it is the responsibility of the cluster to automatically reassign the VIP to a server in the pool whenever the master server is offline.  You can reassign the VIP to any server you want in the pool simply by using the Manager UI to edit the server pool: From the Servers and VMs tab, select the server pool in the navigation pane, then choose the Edit icon from the toolbar at the top of the navigation pane.  This will open a Edit Server Pool dialog.  You will see a combo box with the name of "Master Server" in the first tab in the dialog.  Choose the server you want and then press OK to change.

I discuss the VIP and master server in the following OTN white paper:

Fundamental Concepts of VLAN Networking</title><meta name="Title" content="Fundamental Concepts …

The VIP is initially assigned by the Oracle VM Manager when you create a server pool.  Once the server pool is created, then it is the responsibility of the cluster to automatically reassign the VIP to a server in the pool whenever the master server is offline.  You can reassign the VIP to any server you want in the pool simply by using the Manager UI to edit the server pool: From the Servers and VMs tab, select the server pool in the navigation pane, then choose the Edit icon from the toolbar at the top of the navigation pane.  This will open a Edit Server Pool dialog.  You will see a combo box with the name of "Master Server".  Choose the server you want and then press OK to change.

Now to answer your question:  You do not assign a VIP to a server before adding it to an existing server pool.  One of the existing servers already part of the pool will be the master server and have the VIP already assigned to it.  so, there is no reason to "recreate VIP bond0:0" as this is all managed automatically.

There are many ways to answer to your question about adding a newly installed server to an existing server.  The answer is going to depend on your circumstance, so which of the following is your circumstance:

1. I reinstalled Oracle VM Server on a server that has never been part of any server pool
              2. I reinstalled Oracle VM Server on a sever that was a member of the same pool I am trying to add it to, but I did not delete the server from the pool before reinstalling
              3. I reinstalled Oracle VM Server on a sever that was a member of the another pool, but I did not delete the server from the other pool before reinstalling

Which one of the above scenarios describes your situation?

-Greg

• 34. Re: Problem with OVM Server 3.2.6 - xend not running
                user11979830

Hello,

2 is correct.

I reinstalled Oracle VM Server on a sever that was a member of the same pool I am trying to add it to, but I did not delete the server from the pool before reinstalling.

The server was the only one member of pool, it was the Master Server.

After reinstallation I wasn't able to assign the server to previous pool. But I didn't try to change Master Server on Server Pool folder in Edit Server Pool dialog (it wasn't filled), I only tried to assign the server on Server folder and then the server adding was aborted. My mistake.

I resolved this by creating new server poll and then everything is ok now. But changing Master server could be better.

Thanks

• 35. Re: Problem with OVM Server 3.2.6 - xend not running
                  Nikolay Manchev

Gents,

I had the same issues after upgrading one of my 3.2.2 servers to 3.2.6 via the ISO. Here is how it got resolved. No need to reinstall the server - just check your grub.conf.

I hope this helps.

Nikolay

1 2 3 Previous Next