10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 9:49 AM by jgarry RSS

Plagiarism on other site?

EdStevens Guru
Currently Being Moderated

This does not involve the OTN forums, but I thought it of interest to the Oracle DBA community in general ...

A few days ago a google search lead me to me “Oracle DBA Forums” at “dbametrix” (www.dbametrix.net).  Since I had never seen this site before, I decided to spend a little time browsing the forum threads, and stumbled across this gem: http://www.dbametrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1587&sid=eafe38654d7524ed3f8031721be2a24f

I was rather surprised when I read the second message in the thread, attributed to a “kimipatel” Sure enough, a little searching across a couple of forums I’m active in turned up my post in this thread, at www.orafaq.com: http://www.orafaq.com/forum/mv/msg/190306/600789/#msg_600789,  I also recognized couple of messages by another member of the OTN community who also posts on orafaq.

Further examination showed that every message in the thread on dbametrix was an exact quote from a message in the orafaq thread.  Only the names and dates had been changed.  In one case, two posts attributed to a ‘dorothydba’ in the dbametrix thread were actually from two different people in the orafaq thread.

So I decided to see what the good folks at dbametrix had to say about this.  I registered with the site and got the common response that my request would be reviewed and approved by a moderator.  The next day, not having received any approval notice, I was able to log on.  I then posted a message to the thread, pointing up that it appeared to be a direct quote from the orafaq thread.  Again, I received a response that my message would be reviewed for approval by a moderator.

This morning I checked back, and when I tried to log on I was informed that I had been permanently banned.

I would be interested to know if anyone has any knowledge of this site.    This does not appear to be the same type of issue as was reported in Faking OTN forums

• 1. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

Looks to be registered to a person based in India and operating using godaddy.  Maybe an email to godaddy might help ?

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=dbametrix.net

Gitesh Trivedi - India | LinkedIn

Gitesh Trivedi - Professional Oracle DBA Resume and Detail

• 2. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    jgarry Guru

Srini Chavali-Oracle wrote:

Looks to be registered to a person based in India and operating using godaddy.  Maybe an email to godaddy might help ?

Now, that's a rotflmao.  But if you are the sort of person who thinks you won't get blocked by horribly efficient circular file service bots, Legal Agreement

That is, you have to convince everyone who's posted to complain about copyright violations, even though the authors on the copied posts are misdirects, then wish and hope godaddy gives a flying fig about $.99 domains.

• 3. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

I just don't understand why on earth people do all such things , just completely beyond me.

Aman....

• 4. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    EdStevens Guru

jgarry wrote:

Srini Chavali-Oracle wrote:

Now, that's a rotflmao.  But if you are the sort of person who thinks you won't get blocked by horribly efficient circular file service bots, Legal Agreement

That is, you have to convince everyone who's posted to complain about copyright violations, even though the authors on the copied posts are misdirects, then wish and hope godaddy gives a flying fig about $.99 domains.

I'm quite sure godaddy "could care less".  And certainly don't want to make a tempest in a teapot.  Given a lot of other things that go on in the world (both on the Web and in real life), this is hardly a mosquito.  I'll admit that it does raise my blood pressure a bit when I see I'm one of the "injured parties".  Certainly not worth the effort to try to shut them down.  On the other hand, as I alluded to in my posting on orafaq, it wouldn't bother me if google search started returning hits that shed a different light on Gitesh Trivedi when people searched his name, or "oracle interview questions" or "dbametrix solutions" or "kendba" ....

As an ironic twist, when I searched his name one of the google hits was a thread on in.answers.yahoo.com, where someone was asking anyone to post content from a book of interview questions by Gitesh Trivedi. The sole answer was "Buy a legal copy of the book. Don't steal from Gitesh Trivedi." Seems Gitesh Trivedi doesn't mind his own site stealing content from others ...

• 5. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    Dude! Guru

Maybe it's best not to bother checking who steals ownership or your work. However, just because there are probably 200'000 potential copyright infringer born every day does not necessarily mean you have to give up easily.

Please note I'm not a lawyer and this is just my opinion. People and sites can make all sorts of disclaimers to explain that they are not responsible or liable for content, but this has no legal ground. Take all the shutdowns of file sharing hosts for example.

I would not count on Oracle to help you. The way I understand the information at http://www.oracle.com/us/legal/copyright/index.html Oracle protects only itself. For instance, site and content provided on or through the site are the intellectual property and copyrighted works of Oracle or a third-party provider. Oracle does however reserve the right to use any of the information the way it desires under its own terms you agreed to upon using the site.

You can always ask copyright infringer for their personal address and tell them that you have experience with the matter, filed a complaint at http://www.ic3.gov and have a free attorney who will pursue the issue.

• 6. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    EdStevens Guru

Dude! wrote:

Maybe it's best not to bother checking who steals ownership or your work. However, just because there are probably 200'000 potential copyright infringer born every day does not necessarily mean you have to give up easily.

I'm certainly not 'aggrieved' enough to really pursue it from a legal standpoint.  More a combination of disgust and amusement.  There are certainly more important things in the world to really get worked up over.  But since I stumbled across it it seemed interesting to see what else I could flush out about the site and its owner/operator.  Yesterday evening I spent about a half-hour on just one of the forum spaces at dbametrix.  I'd open a thread, copy the lead sentence of the first post, then google that.  Surprising how many "matched pairs" I discovered between them and orafaq.    I guess at this point I'm  just really curious as to what they think they are accomplishing.  The site has no commercial content that I can see, and no obvious links to any commercial content or any of the other sites operated by Gitesh Trivedi.    The messages in the purloined threads have timestamps that cover a few days, just like one would expect from a real thread.  Obviously, I have no way of knowing if they are somehow deliberately manipulating the timestamps or if they really are taking a few days to copy a thread.  I'm sure a lot more 'forensic analysis and comparison' could be done, (comparing the posting pattern of their usernames) but I've reached the point that I have more important things to do.

• 7. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

It's quite unfortunate that such things happen in the real "real world".

Hemant K Chitale

• 9. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    scott.wesley Guru

Isn't this exactly what serkey is doing? they come up in my google search results.

• 10. Re: Plagiarism on other site?
    jgarry Guru

I dunno, I've also seen serkey give a reasonable list of links to the proper original content.  This one kind of made me smile: Forum search results messed up But I agree, from google serkey is frustrating.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points