1 2 Previous Next 22 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2014 11:33 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Modifications not updating
        Catch 22

I would be happy to maintain a bug list for the editor as long as it’s fun, and perhaps other members can help to contribute to the result. Please let me know if you think this would be helpful or whether you have already other sources of information.

• 16. Re: Modifications not updating
          moniquevdb-Oracle

Actually I think a consolidated list of the current issues would be helpful. I've got the ones you and BluShadow posted in this thread: Oracle working on the forum software again?  But if you want to itemize those and add anything additional, it would help me get a more comprehensive list. Thanks!

• 17. Re: Modifications not updating
            Catch 22

I started with the list List of forum editor issues and bugs. It is not finished and I will add more issues about working with links, fonts and tables. I think the problems with Syntax Highlighting are the most difficult to explain. Actually the deeper I get involved, the more hopeless it seems. It might be the best idea to get rid of Syntax Highlighting and use something that is less fancy but compatible. Actually the complete editor needs to be replaced with something compatible.

• 18. Re: Modifications not updating
              BluShadow

Agree Dude, the editor is messy when it comes to syntax highlighting.

I think most people would be happy with a button on the editor that just put the highlighted text in an appropriate fixed width font (e.g. courier new) and embedded it as a section within the post.  To be really good, it would be brilliant if they could re-introduce code tags, so that it would be easily possible to just copy/paste code we already have with the tags (such as examples I have stored for commonly asked questions) without having to worry about going to format it etc.  It was so much easier to just type {code} around the code than highlighting and clicking here there and everywhere.

• 19. Re: Modifications not updating
                Nicolas.Gasparotto

*Type* {code} ? I honestly never understood why on earth we (I mean it) should manually type it instead of having a button for that. Bold, italic, underscore are much useless on a technical forum, but we got all of them. Most (all?) other forums I've seen have that code option to make it easier for the forums' members, why not the one hosted from Oracle ?

Really, sometime I admire the persitence of people here to continue and not given up using that forum.

Nicolas.

• 20. Re: Modifications not updating
                  BluShadow

Nicolas.Gasparotto wrote:

*Type* {code} ? I honestly never understood why on earth we (I mean it) should manually type it instead of having a button for that. Bold, italic, underscore are much useless on a technical forum, but we got all of them. Most (all?) other forums I've seen have that code option to make it easier for the forums' members, why not the one hosted from Oracle ?

Really, sometime I admire the persitence of people here to continue and not given up using that forum.

Nicolas.

Well, I keep a library of text files containing answers to many common questions asked on here, which can include both text and code.  In the old forum it was nice to be able to just copy and paste such standard answers with the code tags and other formatting tags already in it, without having to worry about manually formatting things once it was pasted into the editor.  Unfortunately, text files don't allow me to store editor button presses. 

• 21. Re: Modifications not updating
                    Catch 22

withdrawn

• 22. Re: Modifications not updating
                      jgarry

I find it funny in places that have inappropriate syntax highlighting.  You know, like bolding words such as for and while in a text document.  If you are going to have syntax highlighting, be sure and allow language specification, including "none!"

1 2 Previous Next