2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2014 3:26 PM by eunix2000 RSS

Sun Ultra 40 M2 SAS and SATA compatibility

eunix2000 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello All,

I have a Sun Ultra 20 M2 and a Sun Ultra 40 M2 workstation  that have been great workstations and still have life.

I would like to replace the SAS drives in my Ultra 40 with SATA drives.

The firmware configuration on the SAS/SATA controller leads me to believe that I can have a mix of SATA and SAS but the sparse documentation that I have found suggest that I have to have either all SAS or all SATA.

I purchased a 2TB SATA drive but I could not get it to configure properly.  I would recognize as a SAS drive but only at the 1.5 speed.

The drive recognition was only good within the firmware of the controller.  The system BIOS did not recognize it as a SATA drive and I could not get the drive to be bootable.

I know that it is possible so I am reaching out to the community to see if anyone has had any experience with changing from SAS drive to SATA drives.

My goal is to pick up the extension cables for the top bank of drives and populate the entire workstation with 2 TB SATA drives.

Thanks,

Eunix

• 1. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 SAS and SATA compatibility
    eunix2000 Newbie

Hello All,

I just wanted to follow up with an update on my progress.

I put the 2TB drive back in and I did a green field build from media and everything went fine.

I went into the bios and flushed the device configurations.  Some of the documentation that I was able to find suggest that you need to perform a low level format but I did not have to do that.

The data channel speed will not go past 1.5GB but the drive that I have is a 6 GB SATA drive.  I only hoped to get 3 GB like the SAS drive.

The  system with the SATA drive seems to be slower to boot and sluggish. I will try to take some timings and post as I think I want to try to run this machine with mixed disk.  If the SAS drives are going to give me faster boots, I will populate slots 1 and 2 with SAS and the rest with SATA for data.

Eunix

• 2. Re: Sun Ultra 40 M2 SAS and SATA compatibility
    eunix2000 Newbie

The LSI SAS/SATA controller can support both SAS and SATA drives simultaneously.

SATA drives appear to only work at 1.5 GB/s  where the max transfer speed is 3.0 GB/s

Note : The may not be an issue with all SATA drives, but I am unable to test. and the product documentation on compatible drives dated and not current for modern drives.

The 2TB drives that I use are well beyond the specs of the docs howerver I am getting decent performance under LVM.

Eunix

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points