1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2014 4:50 AM by Baris Yildirim Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: DataGuard 11gR2
        Baris Yildirim

You can open in read only both of them (active or generic). Yes, there is no difference at all, but if you start redo apply when your standby database is opened in read only mode, so you have an active standby. Why active? becuase read apply continues when your standby is open.

Regards

• 16. Re: DataGuard 11gR2

Ok thats is more clear now

But I am still confused

Actually we need dataguard for reporting purposes too so we want it open read only say 1pm-2pm. But you said there is a danger of non-current application of achivelogs. But the logs is already saved at standby server right?

In case of disaster, I can still apply it after I closed the standby reporting mode? This way we can stil save money not to buy for active dataguard?

By the way,

SQL> Select open_mode from v$ database;

Select open_mode from v$ database

*ERROR at line 1:

ORA-01219: database not open: queries allowed on fixed tables/views only

I am afraid to open it for reporting, as I might not be able to return it back to standby?

Thanks,

• 17. Re: DataGuard 11gR2
            Baris Yildirim

Hi

you need to remove the space between V$ and database

I am going to work now. I will writing to you about others topics after a half hour.

thank you

Best Regards

• 18. Re: DataGuard 11gR2

Thanks Baris

SQL>  Select open_mode from v$database;

OPEN_MODE

--------------------

MOUNTED

• 19. Re: DataGuard 11gR2
                Baris Yildirim

Hi ,

First of all, you can use an active or a generic standby for reporting purpose, you can open read only both, but as I said, you can just real time query on Active standby.

Furthermore, There is a session parameter for active standby. You can find some information below about it. This is an optional parameter, so you don't have to use it.

Oracle has a session level parameter STANDBY_MAX_DATA_DELAY which sets a session specific tolerance level for how far behind the primary database

the standby can be and still allow queries to run unaffected.  If this time limit is exceeded, the user will get an oracle error rather than

the query running and showing what might be "old" information.  If this parameter is set to 0 (zero), then no lag can be tolerated in that session for queries.

To use a setting of 0 the data guard configuration must be either maximum protection or maximum availability and real time apply must be enabled.

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/oracle/top-10-new-features-for-oracle-11g-data-guard-part-two.html

I recommend you to use below commands if you use an active standby.

startup mount;

alter database open read only; --this is a guarantee for you I realized that you are very worried about your standby.

alter database recover managed standby database using current logfile disconnect; --you have to standby log file for this

Active or Generic standby you shouldn't worry about log shipment.

Redo logs always are received by your stadby unless there is a connection problem with your primary. of course they must be mounted or opened read only

By the way, if you are worried a lot about your standby, you can configure Oracle flashback feature on standby side.

As I said, I'm looking forward to hearing from you about the result.

Best Regards

• 20. Re: DataGuard 11gR2

Thanks Baris,

Right now we do not have license for active dataguard, so I must settle and concentrate and maxmize the value of the default free one . and besides my brain can not handle to understand all you said Just to take it slowly or I will get crazy .

I will read over and over your instructions above becuase sometimes my brain is stubborn and interprets differently, skipping some important text. Then apply it on our prod standby. Brb

By the way, I get notifications here for some friends adding. After I accept it, what happens next? what usage does it have for the forum?I am thinking to email them for some consultations too if possible

But i can not see their emails

• 21. Re: DataGuard 11gR2
                    Baris Yildirim

Thank you

You can always ask me. 

Regards

• 22. Re: DataGuard 11gR2
                      Baris Yildirim

Hi again,

I want to know too about you said

By the way, I get notifications here for some friends adding. After I accept it, what happens next? what usage does it have for the forum?I am thinking to email them for some consultations too if possible

But i can not see their emails

By the way, have you tried anything on an active standby for testing?

Regards

• 23. Re: DataGuard 11gR2

Hi Baris,

I have just requested from my boss to build a Linux VM for my Lab test. Good thing he approved it. I now have one Linux VM, and eventually clone it for my DG setup

At the first VM, I am now currently installing 11.2.0.3 and patching 11.2.0.3.8 and 17437634  also installing Latest OPatch.

Is Active dataguard also available in my 11.2.0.3 installer? just like the default dataguard? Or I need to download it separately?

Thanks

• 24. Re: DataGuard 11gR2
                          Baris Yildirim

Hi

Yes it's available any release of 11g

You don't need to download an additional thing for active dataguard?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

By the way, what is your name my friend?

Baris

Best Regards

• 25. Re: DataGuard 11gR2

Im Petra K.

By the way is 9i Dataguard has open read-only too feature?

Gracias amigas!

• 26. Re: DataGuard 11gR2
                              Baris Yildirim

Hi Petra

nice to meet you

Yes you can open read only in 9i dataguard

Oracle9i Data Guard Concepts

Best Regards

1 2 Previous Next