1 2 3 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 10:16 AM by jgarry RSS

Good computer system for Oracle 12c

user12050217 Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

Presently I have one old PC at my home for learning and testing purpose. Now, it seems me very old and slow, so I am planning to buy a new desktop (Not laptop) for learning and testing purpose.  I wish to run Oracle 12c, RAC, Data Gurad, ASM, Cloud control, Oracle linux in Oracle VM Virtualbox.  Apart from these, I wish to run SQL Server 2012, Windows Server 2012, dot net 2012 Prof Edition and some other softwares.  So, please tell me what should be good enough configurations for the PC i.e. HDD, RAM, Processor, Mother board, so that at least it should be good enough for next 5 years.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    jgarry Guru

Did you post the requirements for only grid control?

I'd say go for 32G ram for the OP's requirements.  Running a couple of vm's with rac and ss and all that other stuff with 8G would simply make lots of time for waiting around doing nothing.

OP:

You'll need windows pro, plus you'll probably want to run Oracle linux.

Most manufacturers sell machines that can handle 32G, it's often much cheaper to buy the minimum the manufacturer gives, and add memory.

Google about for your area, build-it-yourself for around $1000, already built around $1700.  Warranties make the latter worth it for me, YMMV.  I just bought wife a cheapo Acer for around $600 with a nice 20 inch monitor, but it was limited to 16G.  Blazingly fast for her, not enough for me (if I were doing what you intend), cd/keyboard/mouse don't look long for this world.  Stupid windows 8.1 mumblemumble... Steve Karam's blog had an interesting build-your-own not long ago.

• 3. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    user12050217 Explorer

>Most manufacturers sell machines that can handle 32G, it's often much cheaper to buy the minimum the manufacturer gives, and add memory.

Thanks sir.  This really makes sense and helpful to me.

> Steve Karam's blog had an interesting build-your-own not long ago.

Sir, kindly post the link, so that I can read, if that points to me what I am looking for.

I want a desktop, on which I can run and learn above stuff.  I google a lot but confused (Intel, AMD, Acer etc.) which one is best in term of per dollar performance and above usages. Obviously, it is not the place to ask, but if you and/or someone can share their views on it i.e. how much RAM (yes you have mentioned that I need 32 GB), which processor, which mother board (type, make), I guess 1 TB SSD is enough.  I like Oracle linux, because it is Linux by Oracle, both word which I loves most...

Thanks.

• 4. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    JohnWatson Guru

You might want to consider buying a real computer. On eBay and other sites you'll find that you can buy some pretty amazing secondhand kit very cheap. I'm looking at a Sun T5240, 16 cores and 64G RAM, for buy-it-now USD950 or best offer. You can pick up more discs and RAM for peanuts. For your requirement you would need to look for an Intel based machine, there are any number of them, too.

• 5. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    Hoek Guru

Sir, kindly post the link, so that I can read, if that points to me what I am looking for.

That would be: Make your own VM training/lab environment for $900 :: Oracle Alchemist

• 6. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

user12050217 wrote:

I google a lot but confused (Intel, AMD, Acer etc.) which one is best in term of per dollar performance and above usages.

That depends on a number of factors.

If you are going to run a lot of VMs, I suggest also looking at the AMD Bulldozer (microarchitecture). This delivers 8+ cores per CPU die and enables one to run multiple VMs on different cores on a home based PC. So do not look solely at process speed - also keep in mind that processor capacity is even more important for running multiple VMs.

• 7. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    jgarry Guru

Good point, but it begs another one, namely, trying to anticipate what chip features will be used for the next 5 years.  VM's are still kind of in flux about that.

But then again, the OP's situation in 5 years may be quite different.  It's always hard to say whether you will wind up in a position where your employer has nicer stuff for you than you do.

When my college-bound-next-fall kid asked for a laptop last year, including the hope it would last through college, the best determinant was whether it could run Portal 2.  I'm still envious.

• 8. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    user12050217 Explorer

5 Years means, after buying a PC i should not feel to get it upgraded, just due to less resources for the software which I am intended as above.  Its really hard to reach to the conclusion specially if it is related to hardware, but all replies which I have got till now, are really great and helpful to me.  I guess, Intel's processor and motherboards are the best; of course they are high priced; 45% higher than AMD, but 65% more performance.  Even though these percentages are vary i.e. some says X is the best while others are saying Y is best and this controversies makes confusion, because details are the just expression of views of writers, blogers, company sites.

• 9. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c

So what are you saying? In your opinion Intel is better, but pricier - and that other people's opinions on this creates controversy and cause confusion, as those are just opinions? So all opinions are equal, except for some whose opinions are more equal than others?

You are wholly entitled to making your own opinions.

You are not entitled to making your own facts.

• 10. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    user12050217 Explorer

Sir,

Can you please share a good link by which I can get a good and almost complete technical comparison for processor, mother board, HDD and RAM.  I am going to buy a new PC, but really I don't know, on which points I should pay one dollar on one point.  I really don't know which processor and mother board works in good performance manner and what exact technical comparison should be done before buying a desktop machine for home and learning purpose only.  I am sure, if you please share good link, it would be great for all of us too.

Thanks.

• 11. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c

My response was to statements like "Intel is that much more expensive than AMD", or that "AMD is that much slower than Intel".

The facts do not bear out that opinion. Do not mistake marketing bull as facts.

As for what h/w to buy - that depends on too basic factors. Your requirements. Your budget.

I would not build a system myself. Have done that numerous times. It is often frustrating and time consuming. I'll rather pay for that. There are a number of shops (online and brick-and-mortar) that supports custom build machines made to order. You specify what you want. They put the h/w together. They install a basic o/s. They run benchmark tests to ensure h/w works properly under stress and performs to specifications. If it does not, they consult you, and they fix it.

If you want to run multiple VMs, there are two basic considerations - already raised by posters in this thread. Memory demands are higher. You need at least (as a minimum) 1GB of RAM per VM (more is better for a virtualised RAC). CPU demands are higher. This means sufficient CPU capacity to support multiple VMs. Which means quad core or more for a virtualised RAC (which at minimum will be 2 VMs with shared virtual disks as cluster storage).

• 12. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    user12050217 Explorer

>Your requirements.

I wish to run Oracle 12c, RAC, Data Gurad, ASM, Cloud control, Oracle linux in Oracle VM Virtualbox.  Apart from these, I wish to run SQL Server 2012, Windows Server 2012, dot net 2012 Prof Edition and some other softwares.  No games.  Good internet access.  Purely Oracle learning and software development machine.

>Your budget.

1000 USD.

> that supports custom build machines made to order.

Yes, and this is what I am asking that what should I ask them to have in it.

• 13. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

user12050217 wrote:

>Your requirements.

I wish to run Oracle 12c, RAC, Data Gurad, ASM, Cloud control, Oracle linux in Oracle VM Virtualbox.  Apart from these, I wish to run SQL Server 2012, Windows Server 2012, dot net 2012 Prof Edition and some other softwares.  No games.  Good internet access.  Purely Oracle learning and software development machine.

>Your budget.

1000 USD.

> that supports custom build machines made to order.

Yes, and this is what I am asking that what should I ask them to have in it.

You are being too picky and to be honest, if you are planning to buy a system for practice. this is way too much  of being fussy. Ask vendors around your area suggest you for an Intel Core-i7 or Xenon , a motherboard that can support at least 32gb of RAM and hard drive options. Now do NOT ask us to give you links . This is simply being lazy. Search and read reviews from different sites. Make up your mind and go for it. To be honest, I am not sure that why you are stuck up in Intel, AMD when somewhere above, you yourself has mentioned this,

"I guess, Intel's processor and motherboards are the best; of course they are high priced; 45% higher than AMD, but 65% more performance"

So seems like you do have a favorite here. Then what's the fuss, go for it. You are not making a machine to support a 24/7 system on which lives would depend, are you?

Aman....

• 14. Re: Good computer system for Oracle 12c
    Girish Sharma Guru

I am not sure that till now OP is searching the PC or have purchased that one, but I guess he/she is (if still searching) confused that which one is best to use Oracle technologies as mentioned above.  Obviously we can not define the "best" pc for learning and software development purpose for 5 years at home.

Whenever a person goes to shop to buy a desktop or laptop every piece looks good, but which one is "best" for me, for which one I should place order to make bill, always tough task. I guess he/she is looking what is/was configuration of your home learning and testing pc is the purpose of the thread; but I just guess though...

Regards

Girish Sharma

1 2 3 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points