4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2014 4:24 PM by Timo Hahn

Can I use a later version of JDeveloper with an earlier version of ADF?

marct2014

Hi,

I am new to Oracle ADF and JDeveloper. One thing I'm not clear on at the moment is, how tightly coupled ADF and JDeveloper are. Can I develop an application that uses ADF version 11.1.1.6 say but use the latest version of JDeveloper? I want to take advantage of the latest features of JDeveloper but we cannot necessarily upgrade the whole application.

Thanks in advance.
      Marc

• 1. Re: Can I use a later version of JDeveloper with an earlier version of ADF?
          Alejandro Tovar Lanz

Hi,

Unfortunately you can't. When installing JDeveloper you are installing all the features and runtime libraries needed for your ADF version. What you can switch is the Java Version for instance but not the ADF Version. I would say that JDeveloper itself could not change at all for a next release, but what will change are the libraries used by ADF Framework which include the expected new features.

Hope this help you to find your answer.

• 2. Re: Can I use a later version of JDeveloper with an earlier version of ADF?
            marct2014

Thank you for your quick response.

When you say "Switch the Java Version" do you mean that I could just switch to JDK1.7? Or do you mean something else?

So, in summary, there is no way I can use the Maven features in the 11.1.2.X version of JDeveloper without upgrading the whole application?

• 3. Re: Can I use a later version of JDeveloper with an earlier version of ADF?
              Alejandro Tovar Lanz

Exactly, you could switch the JDK to 1.7 but then again, by doing this, you might see unexpected behavior of the JDeveloper itself.

About Maven I am not sure but if the plugin is not present, then most likely you need to upgrade the whole application. But normally the upgrading process is very easy as long as you stay in the same release.

Remember that when deciding which version to use you should pay attention to:

11gR1 for Webcenter, SOA/BPM etc

11gR2 for Mobile

12c for pure ADF Development - essentials.

Regards

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I use a later version of JDeveloper with an earlier version of ADF?
                Timo Hahn

Switching the java version is possible, but should be handled with care. There have been some reports with running jdev on a newer jdk's. Normally you gain nothing (or nothing worse the trouble) if you update the jdk jdev is running on.

Don't forget that you also have a WebLogic server which runs on a specific jdk. You can change the jdk the WLS is running on too, but this requires even more testing.

To get new features you have to use a newer JDev version. Just switching the adf version is not possible. Newer JDev version require new weblogic server installation as there is no guaranteed uninstall of a once installed adf runtime on a server. As you only can install a newer version you can't be sure that every connection to the old version is changed. This results in a fresh installation of a weblogic server for most upgrades.

The problem with maven in every jdev installation but 12c is that there is no automatic dependency collection of the adf libraries. You have to build hte needed poms yourself and keep them up to date somehow. Every change (e.g. patch you add to your installation) make this process needed to run again. In hte 11.1.1.x JDev versions there is only a maven preview. I personally did not go through the pain of building the poms myself. If you realy are looking into maven build you should update to JDev 12c. However, Alejandro is right about hte jdev version you should choose depending on your developments regarding SOA and Mobile.

Timo

1 person found this helpful