1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 9:59 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: New forum features, again
    Dude! Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

And if I may add... what OTN is doing in terms of merging the My Support community and trying to implement more features to extend possible options for content, I personally think is a good idea. It's just that I think Jive is not the right product and a bottomless pit when it boils down to bugs, proper implementation and user interface for a technical oriented forum. I am not a fan of people following, emailing of content, direct messaging and wish browsing a users's activity was more private, but as often or usual, management at Oracle are probably not real techies and simply have their checklist of buzzwords and project milestones. Well, I think I have at least expressed my concerns.

• 31. Re: New forum features, again
    Levi-Pereira Guru

Suggestion new feature:

It would be interesting to classify the reply as we do with User "Average User Rating", some answers that are marked as correct are inaccurate then it would be a way to agree, disagree or confirm an reply.

It also can help find better reply in question where users does not mark question as correct or helpful.

• 32. Re: New forum features, again
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Up/Down voting was not chosen by Oracle as an appropriate way for people to judge responses, as the 'negative' responses are not conducive to a friendly social atmosphere I guess, especially if people gang up on others to deliberately start marking all their posts down, even when they are perfectly good posts.

The "Like" feature was added, so if you like or agree with a response you can mark it as such and that can be an indication to people reading that that response was good, regardless of how the OP has marked the discussion.

On top of that, if you don't agree with something posted, then you can always reply yourself explaining why you don't agree so that others can pass such judgement on your judgement too... (it's only fair! )

There's talk of some new gamification mechanism coming along in the future.... not sure what it looks like or how it will work... so maybe that'll add to things in a way that helps you.

• 33. Re: New forum features, again
    UserMB Explorer

hello

how do i access all the previous saved threads i had in my profile in the old version of the forum?

rgds

• 34. Re: New forum features, again
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Hi,

UserMB  in the content tab.

your watches, as they were called are gone. You can only see threads you've started or replied to.

• 35. Re: New forum features, again
    UserMB Explorer

omg...that is unexpected;

worse change ever, in such a case;

nevertheless thanks for the info;

• 36. Re: New forum features, again
    Dude! Guru

You can use following and tracking to accomplish the same function as watching threads and more.

Update for FAQ

Tracking and Following in a Nutshell (Guide)

You can also bookmark discussions. It will be more appropriate to discuss this in you own thread.

• 37. Re: New forum features, again
    Dude! Guru

I think the suggestion was to be able to apply Avarage User Ratings to replies, rather than just only the complete thread. This was actually already suggested. Anyway, as usual, it appears the Avarage User Rating system is not even properly implemented because the discussion owner can rate their own discussion, in which case it depends on other users to rate against it. The rating, likes, etc. affect search results.

• 38. Re: New forum features, again
    moniquevdb-oracle Guru Moderator

Yes, attachments are coming too, and I hope the ability to add diagrams and screenshots will prove useful. I think that we're almost at the end of the new features, though, and then we can start looking at what can be improved. Like the location of "Change avatar"!

For myself personally, I have to say I'm enjoying avatars and really loving bookmarks. I use the bookmark drop-down pretty much constantly.

• 39. Re: New forum features, again
    jgarry Guru

What is this bookmark thing, and why is it trying and failing to show me yours?

• 40. Re: New forum features, again
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

moniquevdb-oracle wrote:

Yes, attachments are coming too, and I hope the ability to add diagrams and screenshots will prove useful. I think that we're almost at the end of the new features, though, and then we can start looking at what can be improved. Like the location of "Change avatar"!

For myself personally, I have to say I'm enjoying avatars and really loving bookmarks. I use the bookmark drop-down pretty much constantly.

Would be good if the bookmarks worked against individual posts on a discussion rather than just the whole discussion, otherwise it's like bookmarking a whole book rather than a particular page.

• 41. Re: New forum features, again
    Hoek Guru

Well, maybe that's why they're called 'bookmarks' instead of 'postmarks'

• 42. Re: New forum features, again
    Dude! Guru

Perhaps I can answer your question. Bookmarks were introduced during the previous "maintenance" a couple of weeks ago. You can find the bookmark icon next to the history icon next to the search field in the forum banner. You can browse anyone's bookmarks by opening their profile (https://community.oracle.com/people/username/profileunknown). Or find all bookmarks under the Browse menu and at https://community.oracle.com/bookmarks?filterID=all. Personally I'm not too keen about bookmarks because it is not possible to bookmark a forum space or individual post, as mentioned in the previous response. I would find that more useful than bookmarking a discussion. I also wish bookmarks were considered private.

I used the "following" feature as bookmarking, which I could all see under the content tab when browsing my user account, but all has all gone now for some reason - it's empty. I'm going to open a separate thread about. Why has everything I was following disappeared?

• 43. Re: New forum features, again
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Hoek wrote:

Well, maybe that's why they're called 'bookmarks' instead of 'postmarks'

Hmmm, postmarks appear on letters and parcels I get. 

As for bookmarks, I don't use them to at home to mark whole books on my bookshelves, I use them within the books to identify a particular page.... so in terms of that analogy, I would like bookmarks to mark individual posts as well as discussions.... as sometimes a whole discussion is relevant, whereas other times there may be specific responses to an issue that are particularly relevant, and if they're in a long discussion, it would save having to search for it through every page. 

• 44. Re: New forum features, again
    Levi-Pereira Guru

Thank you. I got it.

I misunderstood the "Like" button.

To me "Like" button was not linked to OP, but only to reply. "Like" button to me was:  I liked/enjoyed what you wrote does not matter if it answer or have any relationship with OP.

If it was "Recommend" instead "Like" button I would better understand the purpose.

Of course all of this is only a understanding. To me "Recommend" make more sense, since most of readers are looking for a better answer, where "Like" on facebook for example does not mean if I recommend I just liked that no matter if make sense or not.