3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 31, 2014 11:06 AM by KellyMayfield-Oracle RSS

To restrict the specs under Historic version status while adding input and alternate inputs for formulation

Hi,

Is there any way to restrict the specs under Historic version  while performing search when  adding the input and alternate input for formulation specs.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Rohini

• 1. Re: To restrict the specs under Historic version status while adding input and alternate inputs for formulation
          KellyMayfield-Oracle

Have you thought about using the "Hide Spec" tag?   You can hide historic versions of specs in all searches.  Users can be given a role so they can see hidden specs.   In their profile and preferences they could turn hidden specs on and off based on what kind of searching they are doing.   For example, if they are spending the day creating formulations they would hide hidden specs however if they are doing historical research that requires searching they can show hidden specs.

If you are confident that users can get to the historic spec listing using a system tool like Item History or our new Spec Lineage report then you could also use visibility tags.    This will hide specifications from users as well providing a better usability experience when searching for specifications.  There is a white paper available around this feature called "EQT Visibility White Paper"

If visibility tags work but you want certain searches to ignore them you could also customize your search views and remove the visibility mandatory property.  You can remove this line: <MandatoryProperty operation="CO" hidden="true" propertyName="WorkflowVisibility" valueHandler="Class:EQTModels.MandatoryProperties.UserWorkflowVisibilityProperty,EQTModels"/>    This would be a customization and requires you to override an encrypted core configuration file. 

Hope this gives you some options.  Let me know if you have further questions.

Kelly

• 2. Re: To restrict the specs under Historic version status while adding input and alternate inputs for formulation

The above options will modify the search at all places right? I mean if i apply Hide Spec option then whenever i perform search  i cannot see the specs under Historic version status right?

Second option:  If i use visibility tag then also the user cannot see that spec in any search right?

But our requirement is it need to restricted only at the search which will be open when we add input or alternate input. Is there any posiblity for configuration or enhancement for this kind of request.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

Rohini

• 3. Re: To restrict the specs under Historic version status while adding input and alternate inputs for formulation
              KellyMayfield-Oracle

1. Hide spec will limit all searches, however the user has control over when the historic specs appear.  

How often do users search for historic specs versus create formulations?   Switching a preference when they are ready to see historic specs shouldn't be too painful for a user.

2. Visibility tags will limit all searches unless you customize the search screens where you don't want to filter by visibility tag by removing the mandatory property.  You should only do this if you have no plans to use the visibility tag feature since you will be disabling it everywhere but the formulation search.

3.  You could also recommend that users use a saved search that is populated with the statuses they are interested in.  They would go to Load Search > click their search and then type in their criteria.       

4. You may be able to create your own mandatory property for that search that filters out certain statuses, this would be a development needed customization.  Its just an idea, not sure if it will work without a proof of concept.

In a future release we hope to have some improvements in this area that will allow users to default criteria which will solve this business problem.  So you could also wait for the next major release