11 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2006 8:29 AM by 484267 RSS

SQL Modeler in Raptor....

Is Oracle planing to include a tool like SQL Modeler in TOAD??

I would be nice to have a tool like this coming from Oracle. I am a basic developer and sometimes I need to create really complex views.....

Do we need JDK and JRE or just JRE... could you please give more information on that??

Thanks
        • 1. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
          Kris Rice-Oracle
          We do want to add a graphicaly query builder but it will not make the 1.0 release. If your on windows you don't need a jdk/jre, you can just download the bundled version. For non-windows, you will need a JDK.
          • 2. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
            mhichwa-Oracle
            Jonatan,

We would very much like to provide you basic database modeling. Both JDev and warehouse builder provide this functionality in a Java IDE, so we do plan on integrating this functionality. It will not make our first release however. Like you i find it very useful to use a tool to create multiple tables, and relationships graphically. The good news is that we don't have to start from scratch to expose this; the bad news is that you will not get it in the first quarter of 2006.

Regarding the JDK or JRE, you need a 1.5 JRE and a tools.jar file. We need tools.jar to allow you to perform debug operations. The raptor home page has more information on this. We do distribute a 1.5 JRE with a tools.jar, but you can also use your 1.5 JDK and just download the smaller distribution.
            • 3. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
              Thanks for the information.........

In my case, Graphical SQL Builder in Raptor is a must to replace TOAD. Now I will use Raptor for my non-development tasks.....

Thanks.
              • 4. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
                Just one more thing....

I already have JRE 1.5 update 6 installed in my Windows XP machine....... is there any way to reuse that JRE?? That way I could save about 30MB..............

thanks
                • 5. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
                  Kris Rice-Oracle
                  Raptor will run under a JRE however you will not be able to use the debugger. The bundled JRE is actaully the JRE + the code from a full JDK so that the debugging will work.

-kris
                  • 6. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
                    Thanks for the information.....

I understand Oracle wants to provide the application with all the required files, including JRE, but Does Oracle know that most clients already have JRE installed??? I remember when there were no Instant Client and we need to install the ORACLE_HOME stuff and the installation program needed JRE and the client also needed it. I already had the JRE but Oracle installed other JRE...... I think it's a waste of disk space.......

I suggest to give the Windows users the option to use the JRE that we already have. I understant Raptor needs JRE 1.5 but you can instruct the user to do the installation before using Raptor. If Raptor need aditional files from JDK, I suggest to include it with Raptor.

Thanks for the time.............
                    • 7. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
                      It is exciting to hear that the SQL Modeling will be happening in a later release. I don't think it matters if you are a basic developer or really advanced - it is just faster to use a modeler than type it out.

If I may suggest - something that I wish TOAD would have done is not only allow you to model your tables and then export the PL/SQL, but (like SQL Server) I would love to take complex PL/SQL and have the modeler reverse generate the tables to look at it.

Sounds crazy, but sometimes once I have written or modeled a complex query - I have to modify it and sometimes add more tables to it (who knew!). I would just love to throw it back in the modeler, but I can't because it doesn't reverse model my PL/SQL... :( Guess I'm just a fan of easy tools that let me escape for code when possible... :)
                      • 8. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
                        you should look at CWD4ALL www.cwd4all.com

this is available as a JDEVELOPER extension (see check for updates)
                        rumour goes this will be made available as SQL Developer extension to
                        • 9. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
                          you should look at CWD4ALL www.cwd4all.com

this is available as a JDEVELOPER extension (see check for updates)
                          rumour goes this will be made available as SQL Developer extension to
                          • 10. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
                            Have you seen the price tag for those extensions? TOAD is cheaper than the extension!
                            • 11. Re: SQL Modeler in Raptor....
                              But, you don't get a free ipod with TOAD. :)

I do think that 3 grand is a little steep for a plug-in. Maybe the ipod is gold-clad.