2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2014 10:05 AM by BPeaslandDBA RSS

Multiple observer in 11.2.0.3 for physical standby dataguard

dvel

Hi Team,

I have setup physical standby data guard, data guard broker, fast start fail-over and observer. I noticed that using observer,when primary database goes down, automatic switchover takes place.  where is the best place where I can run the observer, is it on primary or secondary site or any other server other than db server site. how do i provide high availability for observer, even if 1 observer goes down or observer server goes down,I want observer to monitor the primary database? How can I implement this.

Oracle : 11.2.0.3

Regards

Vel

• 1. Re: Multiple observer in 11.2.0.3 for physical standby dataguard
          teits

Hi,

Best place is any other server other than db server site.

You cannot setup more than 1 observer. Both you can write a simple script or use thirdparty cluster software like veritas cluster. With this you can make the observer function in active and passive mode

Hth

• 2. Re: Multiple observer in 11.2.0.3 for physical standby dataguard
            BPeaslandDBA

> I noticed that using observer,when primary database goes down, automatic switchover takes place.

That is the point of the observer. Watch the system. If the primary goes down, automatically perform a failover. (Note: if the primary is down, you cannot do a "switchover", only a "failover").

> where is the best place where I can run the observer, is it on primary or secondary site

To me, there is no "best place" because all have their pros and cons. If you put it on the primary site, this is good, but what happens when the entire site is down (i.e. a power outage)? There will be no mechanism for an automated failover to the standby. If you put it on the secondary site, then network disruptions between the two sites will cause the standby to be converted to a primary. That being said, I often put this on the primary site.

Cheers,

Brian