5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2014 5:32 AM by Vandana B -Oracle RSS

enviroment variables after upgrade 10gR2 to 11gR2 grid

User511360-OC

Hello,

Oracle teaches us (for example, in appendix F "How to Upgrade to Oracle Grid Infrastructure 11g Release 2") that before upgrade you must unset such variables like ORACLE_BASE, ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID etc. So, I did it, upgrade from 10gR2 clusterware to 11gR2 grid was succesful. Now I couldn't find any info, must I restore back these variables, or what must to do with them. For example I couldn't run anything from the new grid home ("command not found"), because CRS_HOME was unset, must I just add new grid home to PATH ?

• 1. Re: enviroment variables after upgrade 10gR2 to 11gR2 grid
          gbite

I reckon you have a file that sets your environment e.g dn_env, grid_env etc. Make a copy of that and change all 10g references  to 11g in the new file. Source the 11g environment using the new file and you should be able to run all commands. If  not, set the variables again as you used to to be able to pick them up..... I hope this is what you are after!

• 2. Re: enviroment variables after upgrade 10gR2 to 11gR2 grid
            User511360-OC

Yes, I have .bash_profile (under linux_x64). My problem is that I have 10g R2 db and 11gR2 grid (clusterware). I have both $ORACLE_HOME/bin and $CRS_HOME/bin in my PATH.

So, when I try to run (for example) crsctl utility, it says:

my-oracle-home/bin/crsctl.bin: error while loading sharing libraries..
            Seems to be it's trying to search for these libraries in deleted old crs home.. ?

• 3. Re: enviroment variables after upgrade 10gR2 to 11gR2 grid
              Vandana B -Oracle

Execute the below command at OS level and verify from which home is the crsctl utility is being called

which crsctl

Ensure that the above command is being called from the correct home

If the path from which crsctl utility is being called is the correct one, then perform starce on the crsctl command and verify the starce output to check if it truly is using 10g binaries or not

If not, then try unlocking and locking the GI binaries using "rootcrs.pl -unlock" (to unlock) and "rootcrs.pl -patch" (to lock the binaries), once done verify if you are still getting the same issue or not

Regards,

Vandana - Oracle

• 4. Re: enviroment variables after upgrade 10gR2 to 11gR2 grid
                User511360-OC

Well, probably I could do this, but the final purpose was to install also 11gR2 database in another home and use both databases at the same time. How to setp up enviroment variables in that case ?

• 5. Re: enviroment variables after upgrade 10gR2 to 11gR2 grid
                  Vandana B -Oracle

Hi,

You can use oraenv, which comes along with the installation itself, or you can have a user defined script in bash profile itself, where you can choose to set the environment based on the database your want to access.

execute oraenv as follows

. oraenv

and choose the env for the database to be set. (Please note, for oraenv to pickup and set the env appropriately the SID entry should be made into the oratab)

Regards,

Vandana - Oracle