Currently Being Moderated

Scenario

1. Developer 1 checks out a design.

2. Dev1 modifies the design and saves it to SVN

3. Developer 2 checks out same design

4. Dev 2 opens the design - no changes

5. Dev1 makes a changes and saves it.

6. Dev2 makes a changes and tries to save it but gets this error:

commit -m "" -N C:/Users/myuser/Documents/Data Models/SVN1.8Test_SDDM4/G2_0/G2 Model/rel/F1E78EA1-258D9CBDB1C1/subviews/EC925CC3-4C4A-4937-1A7C-41FB69B585FE.xml

Sending C:/Users/myuser/Documents/Data Models/SVN1.8Test_SDDM4/G2_0/G2 Model/rel/F1E78EA1-258D9CBDB1C1/subviews/EC925CC3-4C4A-4937-1A7C-41FB69B585FE.xml

Skipped

svn: E160024: Commit failed (details follow): svn: E160024: File or directory 'EC925CC3-4C4A-4937-1A7C-41FB69B585FE.xml' is out of date; try updating svn: E160024: resource out of date; try updating svn: E175002: CHECKOUT of '/svn/EDW/!svn/ver/109/trunk/G2/G2%20Model/rel/F1E78EA1-258D9CBDB1C1/subviews/EC925CC3-4C4A-4937-1A7C-41FB69B585FE.xml': 409 Conflict (https://xxxx.ourURL.com)

I know Dev1 changed the model first, (so Dev2 is "out of date") so I refresh Incoming Changes expecting to see a few, but I get Zero changes.

So now what?

• 1. Re: SVN issue with SDDM 4 Production
    Kent Graziano Oracle ACE Director

I just tested this again with a much smaller model and got the same result.

I need to clarify the order though:

1. Developer 1 checks out and opens a design.

2. Developer 2 checks out and opens same design

3. Dev1 modifies the design (makes a few columns mandatory in one table) and saves it to SVN

4. Dev2 makes a changes and tries to save it but gets this error:

commit -m "" -N C:/Users/myuser/Documents/Data Models/SVN1.8Test_SDDM4/G2_0/G2 Model/rel/F1E78EA1-258D9CBDB1C1/subviews/EC925CC3-4C4A-4937-1A7C-41FB69B585FE.xml

Sending C:/Users/myuser/Documents/Data Models/SVN1.8Test_SDDM4/G2_0/G2 Model/rel/F1E78EA1-258D9CBDB1C1/subviews/EC925CC3-4C4A-4937-1A7C-41FB69B585FE.xml

Skipped

svn: E160024: Commit failed (details follow): svn: E160024: File or directory 'EC925CC3-4C4A-4937-1A7C-41FB69B585FE.xml' is out of date; try updating svn: E160024: resource out of date; try updating svn: E175002: CHECKOUT of '/svn/EDW/!svn/ver/109/trunk/G2/G2%20Model/rel/F1E78EA1-258D9CBDB1C1/subviews/EC925CC3-4C4A-4937-1A7C-41FB69B585FE.xml': 409 Conflict (https://xxxx.ourURL.com)

In my 2nd test case before Dev2 made a change (#4), we tried to do the refresh incoming but again saw Zero incoming changes (which is clearly wrong).

Am I doing something in the wrong order or missing a step (basically trying to replicate the process from Sue's old video)

• 2. Re: SVN issue with SDDM 4 Production
    Philip Stoyanov Guru

Hi Kent,

thanks for reporting the problem. I logged a bug.

Philip

• 3. Re: SVN issue with SDDM 4 Production

Bummer. I was hoping it was me!

Thanks. Let me know when the fix is in.

• 4. Re: SVN issue with SDDM 4 Production
    Philip Stoyanov Guru

Hi Kent,

are domains involved in that design?

I'm asking because we are failing to reproduce the case after our first successful attempt.

Philip

• 5. Re: SVN issue with SDDM 4 Production

Yes the default domains file has been updated with custom domains. But no domains were being changed in my test.

• 6. Re: SVN issue with SDDM 4 Production
    Philip Stoyanov Guru

Am I doing something in the wrong order or missing a step (basically trying to replicate the process from Sue's old video)

I don't like one particular step in that video - saving "system data types" directory in the root of working copy (i.e. at the level of *.dmd file of one particular design). That is not good if you have several designs using same set of domains, RDBMS sites.

I always recommend to have "system data types" directory in separate working copy (WC)

The problem you are facing is triggered by (probably) by existence of non versioned *.xml file(s) in the root of working copy - one candidate could be the file with report templates. One solution is to relocate "system data types" directory and delete non versioned files (probably to copy them first to new location)

and another one is to put non versioned files under version control using "Files" functionality - "View>Files" or third party tool.

Philip

• 7. Re: SVN issue with SDDM 4 Production
    marcusafs Journeyer

relocate "system data types" directory and delete non versioned files (probably to copy them first to new location)and another one is to put non versioned files under version control using "Files" functionality - "View>Files"

I have been unable to figure out how to save my system files to a separate WC using Files-->View.  How is this done?

• 8. Re: SVN issue with SDDM 4 Production
    Philip Stoyanov Guru

I have been unable to figure out how to save my system files to a separate WC using Files-->View.  How is this done?

You can use "View>Files" functionality to put any file under version control - in case you don't have another versioning tool.

About system files:

1) Create directory in repository

2) check out that directory into local file system

3) Use "Tools>preferences>Data Modeler" to change location of "system types" directory to that in step 2) - files in current system data types directory will be copied to new directory and put under version control

Philip

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points