11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2014 9:06 PM by gleng RSS

Creating a document - first impressions

Catch-22

The document editing page shows the following 3 buttons: Publish, Save and Continue and Save Draft. Since all these buttons can be pressed it is very confusing to determine the current state of the document currently edited. Does the Publish button also save the current document and when I re-edit the document, what is used? I think it would be much easier to simply have 2 buttons: Save and and Save & Publish.

You cannot save the document without loosing the current focus of the text insert marker. It would also be more convenient, if the save button was located in the toolbar, rather than the very end of the web page, which requires to get out of the editing frame and scroll down.

There seems to be no feasible way to create a document offline and then copy it into the forum editor and retain all the format including pictures. Which means either to upload a file or edit a document online. I do not consider remote editing very reliable and therefore frequently save the document I'm writing. I wish I could save the document without creating a new version of the document. Or at least if there was a way to purge and reset the document version. I hope the number of edits will not be shown when the document is being published.

• 1. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
          Catch-22

And btw, I forgot to mention, once you save a document as draft, you better make a copy of the URL, because the option to browse and edit drafts in the personal content view is apparently missing.

• 2. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
            Catch-22

Meanwhile I figured out that the current status of the document displayed or edited is shown at the top of the page. Apparently the Save As Draft option prevents a document from being accessbile by others, without having to change current visibility or collaboration options. I guess that makes sense now.

• 3. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
              Catch-22

I also noticed that Drafts can be seen under Browse Content from the forum banner. It's not listed in Content (Your Stuff).

• 4. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
                gleng

Thanks for the tip

Dude! wrote:

I also noticed that Drafts can be seen under Browse Content form the forum banner. It's not listed in Content (Your Stuff).

Seems like an odd place for personal content but perhaps not so bad when using collaboration.

from a UI/UX standpoint I see four contexts emerging:

1. Oracle Community
                2. OTN
                3. MOSC
                4. avatar

GlenG

• 5. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
                  Catch-22

Sorry I do not understand what you mean by UI/UX and contexts emerging.

I think the Create Document option is very useful and my experience so far has been positive. What makes creating a document really different from creating a regular forum post are:

• collaboration and visibility options
                  • an option to attach files
                  • a custom comment policy
                  • automatic indexing
                  • ability to compare or restore previous document versions.

However,  I think managing versions could be designed more user friendly. For instance, there should be an option to simply purge or merge previous versions, rather than having to delete every version manually. And I was wondering whether I would loose any previous content when deleting a previous version - you don't. Also, when changing between draft and publish, I lost the ability to restore previous draft versions and there was no warning. I wonder whether previous draft versions are automatically purged when saving a document as Publish, or if they are still in the system somewhere.

Unfortunately the editor does not really seem to support working on different documents at the same time without causing conflicts when resizing the editor window or saving a document, which prompts to "restore recovered", perhaps from the other editing session. That can be very confusing if you edit a document and at the same time respond to forum posts.

• 6. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
                    gleng

Dude! wrote:

Sorry I do not understand what you mean by UI/UX and contexts emerging.

The phrase "UI/UX" is something I only recently encountered but it seems some in our industry are moving beyond User Interface to User Experience.

Here's quote from:

http://www.webdesignerdepot.com/2012/06/ui-vs-ux-whats-the-difference/

"good user experience is the art of a drill going through wood, or a surfboard gliding through water effortlessly. The feelings those give you is unparalleled because they just work, simple as that. Though, in contrast, the shape of that board that helps it make those turns on the wave is good UI, and the surfwax on the top so you don’t slip off is also good UI. In short, the ENTIRE package is what makes it good UX, whereas good UI is always a very important inner-element of that."

"contexts" is just my way of noting that even when the UI looks similar - Content, People, Places or Subspace tabs (as an example) the content we find is different depending on how we got there - OTN, MOSC, avatar.  It is to be expected but I have not found any sufficiently detailed documentation that allows me to judge the difference between feature and bug.

Sorry if I derailed your "first impressions" thread - after you've read this let me if you think I should delete my two posts.

have a good week,

GlenG

• 7. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
                      Catch-22

There is no doubt that the UI has a lot left to be desired and I often wonder if the Jive developers actually care or know about Human Interface Guidelines, etc. It seems to me the developers put more though in providing a reasonable UI with past product versions, or maybe they are re-inventing the wheel. Jive is probably Facebook for Enterprise 2.0 and perhaps it is more important for it to look promising than to actually work.

• 8. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
                        Catch-22

Is there currently any work being done on the forum editor?

Editing my document was OK for the last several days, but now its messing up. All of a sudden I can no longer insert images. Quoted text ends up in Courier without formatting. The index does no longer work. When I save the document I always receive info about a recovered version. Copying the text between different documents messes up formatting. I already spent hours trying to fix the document by copying into a new document and correcting formatting, etc, but it does not improve, except that I can insert images again.

I was actually going to say that creating a document was a positive experience so far, but now it turned into a nightmare. Is there anything that actually works in this goofed up forum software?

• 9. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
                          gleng

Is the document currently in an OTN or MOSC space?

GlenG

• 10. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
                            Catch-22

It's on OTN. I managed to correct the issues, I guess for now, by recreating all the quoted text. I have no idea what went wrong. Seriously working with the forum software can really be a disappointing experience, especially after spending many hours writing a document and when things screw up for no obvious reason. I think the next time I will create a larger document I will do it offline and attach it as a file. But I thought I'd try out the new create document feature, which looked promising, at first.

• 11. Re: Creating a document - first impressions
                              gleng

Dude! wrote:

There is no doubt that the UI has a lot left to be desired and I often wonder if the Jive developers actually care or know about Human Interface Guidelines, etc. It seems to me the developers put more though in providing a reasonable UI with past product versions, or maybe they are re-inventing the wheel. Jive is probably Facebook for Enterprise 2.0 and perhaps it is more important for it to look promising than to actually work.

This past week (Feb 24th) the Oracle Technology Network ArchBeat Facebook page posted this link titled “Announcing the Lecture Schedule for the AMIS UX Event - 18 March” http://technology.amis.nl/2014/02/24/announcing-the-lecture-schedule-for-the-amis-ux-event-on-march-18th/?fb

made me laugh.  If they only new the irony ...

I did a little googling to see what Oracle might know about UX, did not find much, but I did turn up something - CX.

Oracle seems to have real a interest in “Customer Experience”.  This is one of many CX related youtube videos they posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH2VXKqVL3s

have a good week,

GlenG