5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2014 1:48 PM by eldiener RSS

Solaris 11.1 installation GParted not finding disk partitons

eldiener

I run the live Solaris 11.1 installation. After answering questions about the preferred keyboard and language the graphical live install comes up. It says there is a missing device driver and when I look it is a RAID driver. That's OK since I don't need RAID under Solaris since I do not use RAID anyway.

When I bring up GParted in the live install it shows absolutely no partitions for any of the devices. It shows 4 devices although I have only three hard drives. Maybe the 4th device is the CD-ROM from which I have booted. The devices are labelled /dev/dsk/c7d0p0, /dev/dsk/c7d1p0, /dev/dsk/c8d0p0, and /dev/dsk/c8t1d0p0. My guess is that these are the SATA devices, with the 3 hard drives and the CD-ROM drive, since they are all off of my SATA contoller.

But there are no partitions showing in the Solaris GParted even though when I boot the latest live GParted disk and bring up GParted it shows all my individual primary and logical partitions on all drives.

Maybe Solaris 11.1 is just not for my system, since it can't find my hard disk partitions. I have an MSI K9A2 Platinum motherboard with 3 2TB SATA 3.0 drives. I know it is not the latest and greatest but it is really surprising that Solaris cannot read the partition table on these drives, even though GParted outside of Solaris, as well as Minitools live or under Windows 7, has no problem reading the partition table and showing my partitions.

Does anyone know why Solaris live cannot correctly read my hard disk partitions ?

• 1. Re: Solaris 11.1 installation GParted not finding disk partitons
          Pascal Kreyer -Oracle

Can you please run theses commands share the outputs ?

# parted -l

# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/<device>

# fdisk -G /dev/rdsk/<device>

# echo "" | format

• 2. Re: Solaris 11.1 installation GParted not finding disk partitons
            eldiener

I am getting permission denied for everything. I tried to "su" but I do not know the root password for the Live disc.

• 3. Re: Solaris 11.1 installation GParted not finding disk partitons
              eldiener

I think the problem is the missing device driver which Solaris 11.1 Live reports. Even though that device driver does not control the hard disks affected, evidently Solaris 11.1 Live does not work properly in finding the partitions on my hard disks without having that device driver. The device driver it reports missing is:

Promise Technology Inc.

PDC42819 [FastTrak TX2650/TX4650]

This device driver only controls SATA 5-6 and 2 eSATA ports on the K9A2 platinum and I have no drives off of any of those ports.

I will look at Solaris x86 again if I get a new mobo since it does not appear to support my current system.

• 4. Re: Solaris 11.1 installation GParted not finding disk partitons
                Pascal Kreyer -Oracle

Check this URL for the default password : http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26502_01/html/E28980/troublelivecd.html

I doubt for the moment that your problem is because you don't have the driver for this controller.

• 5. Re: Solaris 11.1 installation GParted not finding disk partitons
                  eldiener

I was able to execute the commands as root:

parted -l :

Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!                     

Model: Generic Ide (ide)

Disk /dev/dsk/c7d1p0: 2000GB

Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B

Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start  End  Size  Type  File system  Flags

Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!                     

Error: /dev/dsk/c8t1d0p0: unrecognised disk label 

prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c7d0p0 :

prtvtoc: /dev/rdsk/c7d0p0: Unable to read Disk geometry errno = 0x5

prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c7d1p0:

prtvtoc: /dev/rdsk/c7d1p0: Unable to read Disk geometry errno = 0x5

prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c8d0p0

prtvtoc: /dev/rdsk/c8d0p0: Unable to read Disk geometry errno = 0x5

fdisk -G /dev/rdsk/c7d0p0

* Physical geometry for device /dev/rdsk/c7d0p0

* PCYL     NCYL     ACYL     BCYL     NHEAD NSECT SECSIZ

60799    60799    0        0        255   252   512

root@solaris:~# fdisk -G /dev/rdsk/c7d1p0

* Physical geometry for device /dev/rdsk/c7d1p0

60799    60799    0        0        255   252   512  

root@solaris:~# fdisk -G /dev/rdsk/c8d0p0

* Physical geometry for device /dev/rdsk/c8d0p0

59615    59615    0        0        256   256   512