3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2014 10:14 AM by Jasmine Lee-Oracle RSS

Download 10.4.4 - creating rule doc issue

Hi All,

A colleague of mine is trying to download 10.4.4 on a PC with Windows 8. She is having some difficulty when creating a rule doc though:

"I have opened OPA and created a new project. When I right click on the rules, it brings me to a drop down list and I click on Open new word document. Once I click that it brings me to the SAVE AS screen and asks me to title the document and asks me where I want to save the document. I have tired saving it in a bunch of different areas, but whenever I click save, an error message appears saying " we cant save the file because it is read-only. To keep your changes, you'll need to save the document with a new name or in a different location". I have tired saving it in different locations and with different names, and I always get this message. When I was doing my OPA training, I never had to save my Word document. I would just right click and select add new Word document and then it would be created right in my project..."

Any ideas on how to solve this ?

Thanks!

Heather

• 1. Re: Download 10.4.4 - creating rule doc issue
          Jasmine Lee-Oracle

Hi Heather,

Hmm. This does sound a bit strange. Is this happening on a different machine to the one she used during training? Just curious whether it used to work fine and now doesn't, or whether it's a new problem on a new machine?

What version of Word is she using? Is she getting the same issue with other file types? e.g. Excel, screens file, properties file, etc.

Browse to the project through Windows Explorer and check whether the project folder has somehow been made read-only. If it has, does making it not read-only help?

Does this help?

- Close OPM and any Microsoft applications

- Find OPM in the Start menu, RIGHT-click and select 'Run as Administrator'

BTW, at the start of her description I assume she's seeing "Add New Word Document" and not "Open new word document"? If it was "open" then that would be really strange.

Cheers,

Jasmine

• 2. Re: Download 10.4.4 - creating rule doc issue
            Jasmine Lee-Oracle

Hi Heather,

Can your friend add existing files to the project?

See the 'Add existing files to a project' section of this article: http://docs.oracle.com/html/E48373_01/toc.htm#Projects%20and%20files/Create_modify_or_delete_a_project.htm#Add3

Note that Word docs in OPA 10.x need to be .doc. When you create a new Word doc outside of OPM it will be created as .docx, so do a 'Save As' + 'Word 97-2003 Document' to make it a .doc --> this is what the option is called in Word 2007; if you have a later version of Word it may be called something different.

What I've described above is a way to create new OPM rule documents without creating them in OPM. Once you add the existing .doc to the project and then open it in OPM, the OPM toolbar should automatically be attached. Obviously we should work out what's actually going on with her machine, but I'm curious to know if this works.

Cheers,

Jasmine

• 3. Re: Download 10.4.4 - creating rule doc issue
              Jasmine Lee-Oracle

The OPA Development team have posted some troubleshooting tips for people having issues running OPM 10.4.4 with Windows 8 and Office 2013: https://community.oracle.com/thread/3542454

Cheers,

Jasmine