5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2014 2:00 AM by Renu-Oracle RSS

Finding SCN from RMAN backup

Hi,

I have a full database backup of  my standby database 10g(10.2.0.5) which was taken in mount state.The backup does not include controlfile in it because the recovery statement we use to recovery the standby database is recover database using backup controlfile until cancel and the controlfile type is backup.Now i need to find the SCN included in the backup so that i am planning to take a SCN based incremental backup from Production and apply it.

How to find the SCN information of this backup in my scenario???

Regards,

• 1. Re: Finding SCN from RMAN backup
          Svetoslav Gyurov

Hi 007,

I'm sorry if I got it wrong. From what I understand you've got a physical standby which has unresolvable archive gap ? If that's the case refer to:

Steps to perform for Rolling forward a standby database using RMAN Incremental Backup. (Doc ID 836986.1)

Regards,

Sve

• 2. Re: Finding SCN from RMAN backup
            Hemant K Chitale

IF you want to update the Standby with an SCN based incremental backup, you need to know the SCN on the Standby.

Query v$DATABASE on the Standby for the SCN and run a fresh incremental backup for SCN-1 onwards.

Note : An SCN based incremental backup is ONLY for updating a Standby.  It cannot be part of a backup / recovery strategy for a Primary.

Hemant K Chitale

• 3. Re: Finding SCN from RMAN backup

Hi Hemant,

I guess u haven't understood my question.My scenario is my restoration will take around 5 to 6 hours using the backup.Once the restoration is complete i can query the SCN from v$DATABASE on the Standby,but i don't want to wait till the restoration gets complete.If i know the SCN in the backup i can fire the SCN based incremental backup in production database parallely when the restoration is in progress.

List backup is not showing the SCN since control file in not included in my backup because we use recover database using backup controlfile until cancel statement to recover the logs and the controlfile type is backup.

I hope u understand my scenario more clearly.

Regards,

• 4. Re: Finding SCN from RMAN backup
                Hemant K Chitale

Once you take the incremental backup on the Primary, while it is being restored on the Standby, why not run a LIST BACKUP on the Primary ?  That would show the datafile checkpoint SCNs that are in the backup that you send to the Standby. 

Hemant K Chitale

• 5. Re: Finding SCN from RMAN backup
                  Renu-Oracle

Hi,

You can get the datafile checkpoint SCN and checkpoint time from below:

RMAN>LIST BACKUP OF DATABASE;

RMAN> restore database preview;

Thanks