I am using SOA/BPM 22.214.171.124.
I found a possible bug when deploying a BPM Application that has mixed assignments (Some directly to a user, some to a BPM Application Role (created in workspace).
I conducted two tests.
Test 1. Created a BPM Project/Process with two swimlanes. In organization, I assigned the swimlane roles to users (From the Weblogic embedded LDAP). On deployment, these roles were pushed out to the Workspace/Administration/Roles area (when logged in as Weblogic).
In workspace I created some BPM roles (and made assignments to users) and then in a BPM Project assigned those Application Roles to my swimlane roles.
However, I created one Swimlane and made the assignment directly to a user.
On deployment, the role that was assigned directly to a user at the BPM project level was NOT pushed out to the Role area.
A video of this is here: http://youtu.be/bWtEIRavlEY
Thanks for the info. Later I ran into some documentation that said that the first time you deploy, it pushes the roles up (but not after). Perhaps this setting (which is also shown as a small checkbox in the lower-left of the organization gui in Jdev), was added in a later version (than the documentation I saw) as a way to address this problem!